XP FSTW on an OEM

Reaction score
This is my first post to this forum and I have just barely qualified for my 1 year pin as a newbie. I hope this appears in the right place, (Windows XP) but the heading keeps showing "hardware" even though I click Windows XP.

I want to move O/E files and Windows doc's from a W98 OEM unit to a new computer running XP Home, also an OEM. The new unit comes with the T2893, "Restore DVD", but no XP Installation CD per se. I don't want to risk loading the Restore DVD onto the old HDD in order to create a Transfer Folder (using FSTW), for fear of messing up BIOS & etc's. In short, I don't know what would happen on the old computer if I tried the experiment. My guess is, the Restore DVD wouldn't load at all, and/or it wouldn't generate the FSTW folder even if it did.

My thinking is, I could move the old HDD over to the new unit as a slave and then transfer the FASTW folder's contents to the new computer running XP.

I've done a lot of link-leaping and forum-following on the subject but haven't found a definite answer; yet. I would be interested in hearing any insight on the matter.

00Buck

Ask a Question