XP freezes randomly short periods after SP2

Reinstalled XP Home and applied all automatic updates including SP2. After
the installation of SP2 the computer freezes for short periods. It's just a
matter of seconds, one or two. I've had this problem for a while. It is
always the same when, accept for one time. Then it worked and I did'nt have
any problems at all. But now that I've reinstalled the problem is back.

I've noticed one strange thing and that is that all the times when I've
installed SP2 and the computer freezes, I can't get it to work with the
latest graphic drivers from nvidia, because the the computer freezes
permanetly and I have to reboot it, uninstall the new drivers and install 2
years old drivers instead. This was not the problem when I had the trouble
free installation I mentioned above.

I've tried everything I can think of:
- Upgraded all hardware with the latest drivers (except for the GFX card)
- I've ran tests to see if there is any problem with the memory (No problem)
- I've ran tests to see if there is any problem with the HDD (No problem)
- I've ran tests to see if there is any problem with the CPU (No problem)

Also searched all over for someone else with the same problem, but I haven't
foud anyone. Could someone please help?

Best Regards

Jonas

Ramesh, MS-MVP

Hi Jonas,

See if this applies.

Problems in Windows Explorer or the Windows shell after you install security
update MS06-015:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/918165

[Automate] Download this zip file & extract & run the reg file.
http://patch-info.de/WinXP/Downloads/KB908531_Share-To-Web.zip

From: Stephen Hui [MSFT]
Date: Fri, Apr 14 2006 7:08 am
Groups: microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.browser

http://groups.google.com/group/micr...inetexplorer.ie6.browser/msg/094143b42d0c3ca2

Problems in Windows Explorer or the Windows shell after you install security
update Q908531 [MS06-015]:
http://www.winhelponline.com/blogs/...ou-install-security-update-Q908531-[MS06-015]

Ramesh Srinivasan, Microsoft MVP [Windows XP Shell/User]
Windows® XP Troubleshooting http://www.winhelponline.com

[...]

I've had the problem before, but I've also made an installation when I didn't
have the problem.

I think it solved the problem. But I'll have to test for a couple of days.
Thank you so much.

//Jonas

Ramesh, MS-MVP

Thanks for the feedback Jonas.

From: Stephen Hui [MSFT]
Date: Fri, Apr 14 2006 7:08 am
[...]

It didn't solve the problem. It still freezes.

Jonas

From: Stephen Hui [MSFT]
Date: Fri, Apr 14 2006 7:08 am
[...]

DL

Did you rely on win to install mobo chipset and other hw drivers, or did you
install from hw manu cd's or their web sites?

Ramesh, MS-MVP

Does ending the Verclsid.exe process help?

From: Stephen Hui [MSFT]
Date: Fri, Apr 14 2006 7:08 am
[...]

Hello Ramesh!

No it doesn't help. If you are referring to the file that was installed with
the MS06-015 update. This update is about week old but I've had this problem
for more than a year, in fact as long time as when SP2 first was released.

Is there any chance to install SP2 manually? I mean, download all updates
separately and then install them one by one and still have the same result as
installing SP2? If this is a possibility then maybe I could install the
updates one by one and see when it starts to freeze. Uninstall the update
that makes the computer freeze and install the rest of the updates. Is this
even possible? If it is, how do I do it?

Best Regards
Jonas

From: Stephen Hui [MSFT]
Date: Fri, Apr 14 2006 7:08 am
[...]

Hello DL!

Yes I've relied on XP when installing all the hardware. What is "mobo
chipset"? But I've also tried to update drivers for chipset, gfx card and
soundcard.

Best Regards
Jonas

"DL" skrev:

Ramesh, MS-MVP

Jonas,

Yes. Pls see:

Windows XP Service Pack 2
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...be-3b8e-4f30-8245-9e368d3cdb5a&displaylang=en

Also:

How to integrate Windows XP Service Pack 2 files into the Windows XP
installation folder:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/900871/
http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_sp2_slipstream.asp

[Automated slipstreaming] AutoStreamer 1.0.30:

From: Stephen Hui [MSFT]
Date: Fri, Apr 14 2006 7:08 am
[...]

Drivers from mobo - motherboard - site including the chipset drivers and
other drivers, eg graphics, from the manu.sites NOT default win or winupdate
drivers