XP firewall doesn't screen oubound traffic?

M

moois

Only inbound? I had installed the free version of Zone Alarm's firewall earlier this year, but finally turned it off out of complete frustration. In all too many cases, it would query me for permission regarding outbound traffic, without providing any/enough info to make an intelligent decision.

Has anyone else had this problem with firewalls?

Is there a free firewall out there that
a.. monitors traffic both ways?
b.. provides enough info to intelligently decide whether to permit traffic?
c..

B

Bruce Chambers

Greetings --

What more information do you need? ZoneAlarm tells you what
program is trying to access an outside network, and usually what that
network's address is. If you don't know for certain that you've
deliberately configured that specific application to contact that
specific address, then you probably shouldn't allow the traffic. How
is more information going to help you determine what you've configured
your own PC to do? Shouldn't you know that in advance?

Bruce Chambers
--
Help us help you:

You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on
having both at once. - RAH

Only inbound? I had installed the free version of Zone Alarm's
firewall earlier this year, but finally turned it off out of complete
frustration. In all too many cases, it would query me for permission
regarding outbound traffic, without providing any/enough info to make
an intelligent decision.

b.. provides enough info to intelligently decide whether to permit
traffic?
c..

M

moois

Hi Bruce

When you're a complete ignoramus (like me), who can't tell the difference between JavaScript and DOS, you need more than "Zone Alarm can't identify this program". I kept this frustration about ZoneAlarm to myself, until I began to see indications that others are having exactly the same problems with Zone Alarm that I had.

But to answer your underlying question: No, I don't know the origin of everything running on my system. Wish I did.

J

JAX

Generally speaking, if you don't know what is trying to access the internet, don't let it. Using ZoneAlarm, just refuse access, don't check the "always remember this choice", or whatever it says. If something you expect to work doesn't, allow access the next time you try.

BTW, IMO, Bruce is no "ignoramus". I find ZA's information quite self-explanatory.

JAX
Hi Bruce

When you're a complete ignoramus (like me), who can't tell the difference between JavaScript and DOS, you need more than "Zone Alarm can't identify this program". I kept this frustration about ZoneAlarm to myself, until I began to see indications that others are having exactly the same problems with Zone Alarm that I had.

But to answer your underlying question: No, I don't know the origin of everything running on my system. Wish I did.

M

moois

Hi Jax

You misunderstood my post to Bruce -- I referred to myself as an ignoramus, not to Bruce. And, as for the info ZoneAlarm provides -- or doesn't provide -- some of the messages are helpful, e.g. Symantec was properly identified in the detailed description, but when it's just a reference to windows messenger, how am I supposed to know if it's a link to OE, or something else, and how do I know which traffic to allow when something stops working, if there's no proper identification. Eventually, frustration sets in, and the floodgates are opened.

As I said in an earlier post, I have seen other complaints about the lack of adequate information provided by ZoneAlarm, in order to make intelligent decisions. (Maybe their fee-based firewall provides more client information.)

Cheers,
moois
Generally speaking, if you don't know what is trying to access the internet, don't let it. Using ZoneAlarm, just refuse access, don't check the "always remember this choice", or whatever it says. If something you expect to work doesn't, allow access the next time you try.

BTW, IMO, Bruce is no "ignoramus". I find ZA's information quite self-explanatory.

JAX
Hi Bruce

Bruce Chambers said:
Greetings --

Bruce Chambers
--
Help us help you:

an intelligent decision.

traffic?
c..

J

JAX

Moois, it is best to err on the safe side. Like I said, if you don't know what it is, don't allow access to the internet. If what you want to happen doesn't, allow access the next time you try. It may take a re-boot or a delve into ZA to try again.

JAX
Hi Jax

You misunderstood my post to Bruce -- I referred to myself as an ignoramus, not to Bruce. And, as for the info ZoneAlarm provides -- or doesn't provide -- some of the messages are helpful, e.g. Symantec was properly identified in the detailed description, but when it's just a reference to windows messenger, how am I supposed to know if it's a link to OE, or something else, and how do I know which traffic to allow when something stops working, if there's no proper identification. Eventually, frustration sets in, and the floodgates are opened.

As I said in an earlier post, I have seen other complaints about the lack of adequate information provided by ZoneAlarm, in order to make intelligent decisions. (Maybe their fee-based firewall provides more client information.)

Cheers,
moois

JAX
Hi Bruce

Bruce Chambers said:
Greetings --

Bruce Chambers
--
Help us help you:

an intelligent decision.

traffic?
c..

B

Bruce Chambers

Greetings --

Thanks, Jax, but I think you misread Moois' post. I don't believe
Moois called me an "ignoramus." It looks like he was referring to
himself.

Bruce Chambers