XP counterfit

The small computer shop from which I bought my machine put a non authentic
copy of XP on my machine. They have agreed to mail me a genuine copy. My
question is this: can I install this over the existing copy? Must I wipe my
HD? How will this work?

Gordon

The small computer shop from which I bought my machine put a non authentic
copy of XP on my machine. They have agreed to mail me a genuine copy. My
question is this: can I install this over the existing copy? Must I wipe
my HD? How will this work?

Just do a Repair Install using the new key. You may find that you will have
to re0install any application, but your data should be unaffected. And yes,
as in ALL computer operations, Backup your data first!

philo

The small computer shop from which I bought my machine put a non authentic
copy of XP on my machine. They have agreed to mail me a genuine copy. My
question is this: can I install this over the existing copy? Must I wipe
my
HD? How will this work?

Just perform a repair install...
then reapply your updates

That would be great. He threw XP pro on, but he's sending me XP home. Is
this downgrade a problem?

Gordon

That would be great. He threw XP pro on, but he's sending me XP home. Is
this downgrade a problem?

Ah. It might be. Try the repair install first - if it works, great. If not,
then you may have to do a clean install.

Carey Frisch [MVP]

You'll need to backup your important files,
then proceed with a "clean install".

Clean Install Windows XP

Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP
Windows - Shell/User
Microsoft Community Newsgroups

---------------------------------------------------------------------------­----------------

:

--
Gordon said:
Ah. It might be. Try the repair install first - if it works, great. If not,
then you may have to do a clean install.

Yeah, he threw XP Pro on -why not, it cost him nothing!

Bruce Chambers

The small computer shop from which I bought my machine put a non authentic
copy of XP on my machine. They have agreed to mail me a genuine copy. My
question is this: can I install this over the existing copy? Must I wipe my
HD? How will this work?

If you are trying to install a WinXP Service Pack and getting the
following:

The Product Key Used to Install Windows Is Invalid
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q326904

You should be able to use the legitimate retail or OEM full license
of WinXP Pro to perform a repair (a.k.a. in-place upgrade) installation,
using the new CDs and Product Keys.

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:

Bruce Chambers

That would be great. He threw XP pro on, but he's sending me XP home. Is
this downgrade a problem?

Yes, it is.

The only way to change from WinXP Pro to WinXP Home is to
format the drive and start over. There is no supported downgrade path
or technique.

Simply boot from the WinXP Home installation CD. You'll be
offered the opportunity to delete, create, and format partitions as
part of the installation process. (You may need to re-arrange the
order of boot devices in the PC's BIOS to boot from the CD.)

HOW TO Install Windows XP

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:

Ken Blake, MVP

That would be great. He threw XP pro on, but he's sending me XP home.
Is this downgrade a problem?

Yes, it's a problem. You can't do a downgrade.

If you bought a system that was supposed to come with XP Professional,
you're entitled to XP Professional. You shouldn't accept XP Home instead. If
he refuses to provide you what you're entitled to, threaten him with
reporting him to Microsoft, the local Police, the State Attorney General,
and the Software Publisher's Association.

Please reply to the newsgroup

Joe

Bruce Chambers said:
If you are trying to install a WinXP Service Pack and getting the
following:

The Product Key Used to Install Windows Is Invalid
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q326904

You should be able to use the legitimate retail or OEM full
license of WinXP Pro to perform a repair (a.k.a. in-place upgrade)
installation, using the new CDs and Product Keys.

Quite often links to web sites take me to US of A. Are the various
updates, information the same for UK.
Joe

PopS

Ken Blake said:
Yes, it's a problem. You can't do a downgrade.

If you bought a system that was supposed to come with XP
Professional, you're entitled to XP Professional. You shouldn't
accept XP Home instead. If he refuses to provide you what
you're entitled to, threaten him with reporting him to
Microsoft, the local Police, the State Attorney General, and
the Software Publisher's Association.

Thanks: I've been wondering why no one went that direction. And
if he was sold Pro, he needs to get a legit version of Pro from
the guy.

I would also suggest that the guy go the GA route right away -
and make certain he's got a good copy.

This'll probably raise some hackles, but I'd have to report
him anyway - I have no truck for criminals.

Pop

PopS

Gordon said:
In general, updates are universal.

Well ... except for the language. UK English is not US En glish.
There are spelling differences; whilst they may not be
important, it might tend to make one want to get either pissed or
pissed off, depending :)

Pop

Bruce Chambers

Joe said:
"Bruce Chambers" <[email protected]> wrote in message
Quite often links to web sites take me to US of A. Are the various
updates, information the same for UK.
Joe

Frequently, yes, the updates and procedures will be the same, apart
from the differences in spelling.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you: