XP boot hangs at status bar on first boot

steve s

Hoping someone may have some tips on how to resolve this issue I am
experiencing.
I have an XP Pro system which upon initial booting almost always hangs at
the black Windows XP boot screen (logo + scrolliing status bar at the
bottom).
There are times when it will boot straight in (1 in 10 boots) but most of
the time it hangs at that screen. When I hard reset it comes up and always
goes
into the XP no problem. Has anyone else seen/experienced this and found away
to resolve it? Thanks.

I have the following setup:

Windows XP Pro SP2 (the above stated problem existed prior to upgrading to
SP2)
Asus A7N8X v1.04 BIOS 1007
AMD Athlon XP 2700+
1GB Corsair PC3200 DDR (2 x 512MB)
ATI Radeon 9700 Pro 128MB (Catalyst 4.7)
Maxtor 80GB 7200rpm Primary master IDE - OS
Maxtor 250GB 7200rpm SATA - Data
Maxtor 250GB 7200rpm USB 2.0 external/IDE - Data
Panasonic IDE DVD-ROM
Plextor 40x CD-RW

steve s

I meant to add that it seems to happen when the system has been off for some
time but when the system is rebooted it never happens. Strange?

steve s

I attempted to XP to process an ntbtlog.
Pressed F8 during boot and selected the bootlog option.
Continued to boot, it hung as per usual.
Rebooted and got into XP as per usual.
No ntbtlog.txt appeared to have been generated.
This, I'm guessing, means that it is getting hung up much earlier in the
boot process.
Anyone have a similar experience that may shed some light on a possible
solution?
Much appreciated.

john sullie

steve s said:
I attempted to XP to process an ntbtlog.
Pressed F8 during boot and selected the bootlog option.
Continued to boot, it hung as per usual.
Rebooted and got into XP as per usual.
No ntbtlog.txt appeared to have been generated.
This, I'm guessing, means that it is getting hung up much earlier in the
boot process.
Anyone have a similar experience that may shed some light on a possible
solution?
Much appreciated.
Hi
I am a new google groupie. This is my first post.
I have nearly the same problem as you, but my 'puter hangs less often.
I have been sniffing around the groups for help.
Below, I have cut&paste one set of possible solutions.
Basically re-seat your RAM sticks and your Graphics card .
The suggestion is the contacts are imperfect, but as the
'puter warms up connectivity improves.
I'm not THAT convinced , but I am considering it.
whattadyethink?

bye : john
<<<<<
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.beta.general
Date: 2001-09-30 23:27:16 PST
All messages from thread
Message 1 in thread

From: Kaman W. ([email protected])
Subject: XP Hangs on a cold boot.
I have a ECS K7S5A (SiS 735 chipset) with Athlon 1.4GHz. I install XP RC2
and everything works fine except during cold boot. After leaving the
computer turned off for over three hours, turning it on XP hangs during the
boot. It hangs without even displaying the initial Windows XP logo screen. I
then press the reset button and everything works perfectly fine afterwards.
If I had it off for, say only an hour, it would boot without any problem
either. Does anyone have any idea as to what is causing the problem? I
install the release version of XP fresh (reformatting the drive) and it is
the same problem
System:
ECS K7S5A motherboard
Athlon 1.4GHz
512MB DDR RAM
MSI Geforce2 Pro 64MB
Kaman

Message 2 in thread
From: Mark ([email protected])
Subject: Re: XP Hangs on a cold boot.

Maybe your memory or PCI cards need reseating?

Possibly when they warm up maybe they might
make better electrical contact.

Mark
Message 3 in thread
From: Kaman W. ([email protected])
Thanks, Mark.
I reseat the video
and jiggle the memory cards a bit
and it seems to be working now.
I don't know which was the culprit but I don't
care. Thanks , Kaman

I have the exact same problem and have been searching the web for an answer.
Similar problems seem to follow Athlon processors and Radeon video cards and
sometimes ASUS motherboards. I have an Athlon 1.4 gighz, Radeon 9600 video
card, Maxtor 40 GB HD and run XP. Computer runs all day just fine but almost
never starts cold without freezing before desktop finishes loading. A web
search for "cold boot" will show this problem has some depth.