XP antivirus

kraway

I was recently surfing the web and now I seem to have a new antivirus
software working on my machine. The name is XP Antivirus ver. 2.4. It
always wants to scan my machiine but won't correct any bad files unless I
purchase it first. I tried to unistall it but when I restarted my machine it
is back again. My normal AVG antivirus software is not finding any bad files
but this new one does. How do I get rid of it?

Mick the spiv

kraway said:
I was recently surfing the web and now I seem to have a new antivirus
software working on my machine. The name is XP Antivirus ver. 2.4. It
always wants to scan my machiine but won't correct any bad files unless I
purchase it first. I tried to unistall it but when I restarted my machine
it
is back again. My normal AVG antivirus software is not finding any bad
files
but this new one does. How do I get rid of it?
Looks like XP Anti-virus is actually malware.

Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]

kraway said:
I was recently surfing the web and now I seem to have a new antivirus
software working on my machine. The name is XP Antivirus ver. 2.4.
It always wants to scan my machiine but won't correct any bad files
unless I purchase it first. I tried to unistall it but when I
restarted my machine it is back again. My normal AVG antivirus
software is not finding any bad files but this new one does. How do
I get rid of it?

You've been infected with malware (of the "protection racket" type). Try
posting in microsoft.public.security.homeusers, and also check out
http://elephantboycomputers.com/page2.html#Viruses_Malware ....

J.D. Focke

Also another good way of getting rid of if you can remeber when it occured
you can system restore before that point... I've gotten rid of some of the
nastiest malware that way... After I system restore I turn the the system
restore off and restart again and the turn system restore back on... Probably
don't have to do that but it does't hurt. Get AVG free... Great software..

David H. Lipman

From: "kraway" <[email protected]>

| I was recently surfing the web and now I seem to have a new antivirus
| software working on my machine. The name is XP Antivirus ver. 2.4. It
| always wants to scan my machiine but won't correct any bad files unless I
| purchase it first. I tried to unistall it but when I restarted my machine it
| is back again. My normal AVG antivirus software is not finding any bad files
| but this new one does. How do I get rid of it?

Lanwench is correct. You are infected with a ZLob Trojan that then downloaded and installed
a fake anti virus application whose intent is to get money from you.

Two part reply..

Perform Part 1 then perform Part 2.

It is suggested that you execute each tool in Normal Mode then in Safe Mode.

Part 1
-----------

Use noahdfear's SmitFraud, SpyAxe, SpyFalcon, et. al., removal tool -- SmitRem.exe
http://noahdfear.geekstogo.com/click counter/click.php?id=1

Part 2
-----------

S!ri's SmitfraudFix
http://siri.urz.free.fr/Fix/SmitfraudFix_En.php

David H. Lipman

From: "J.D. Focke" <[email protected]>

| Also another good way of getting rid of if you can remeber when it occured
| you can system restore before that point... I've gotten rid of some of the
| nastiest malware that way... After I system restore I turn the the system
| restore off and restart again and the turn system restore back on... Probably
| don't have to do that but it does't hurt. Get AVG free... Great software..

Grisoft AVG is OK, not great.

AntiVir is better and Kaspersky or NOD32 are considered the best.

David H. Lipman

From: "J.D. Focke" <[email protected]>

< snip >

| Get AVG free... Great software..

I just realized that the OP stated...
" My normal AVG antivirus software is not finding any bad files... "

pcbutts1

Use Remove-it version 18, it's fast and free. It now has over 9500
signatures to remove All variants of Rogue scanners, Desktop/Homepage
Hijackers, Trojans, Codec's, and related Malware/Spyware. Download it here
http://pcbutts1.com/downloads/tools/tools.htm

M.I.5¾

J.D. Focke said:
Also another good way of getting rid of if you can remeber when it occured
you can system restore before that point... I've gotten rid of some of the
nastiest malware that way... After I system restore I turn the the system
restore off and restart again and the turn system restore back on...
Probably
don't have to do that but it does't hurt. Get AVG free... Great software..

Well it can't be that good if the OP is running it and it allowed XP
Antivirus ver 2.4 through.

Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]

M.I.5¾ said:
Well it can't be that good if the OP is running it and it allowed XP
Antivirus ver 2.4 through.

It's an antivirus product, not an anti-malware product. It's OK if you're a
careful surfer. I used it for years with no ill results, as have several of
my small/home office clients. Much depends on the user.

Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]

pcbutts1 said:
Use Remove-it version 18,

<snip>

Do not follow any advice from pcbutts. He lives under a bridge and enjoys
tormenting the Billy Goats Gruff.

Leythos

pcbutts1 said:
Use Remove-it version 18

Hosted on a site filled with filth and porno - don't trust sites like
that.

--

Leythos
drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist"

Daave

Lanwench said:
It's an antivirus product, not an anti-malware product. It's OK if
you're a careful surfer. I used it for years with no ill results, as
have several of my small/home office clients. Much depends on the
user.

I, too, think AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition has been getting an
unjustifiably bad rep in this NG lately. Of course it won't protect
against spyware; that's not its purpose!

That being said, does anyone know of any decent real-time anti-spyware
apps that would have prevented the above infection? I personally like
SpywareBlaster, but I am aware that's only good when it comes to dodgy
Web sites. (But maybe that's how the OP got that infection.)

Dave Cohen

kraway said:
I was recently surfing the web and now I seem to have a new antivirus
software working on my machine. The name is XP Antivirus ver. 2.4. It
always wants to scan my machiine but won't correct any bad files unless I
purchase it first. I tried to unistall it but when I restarted my machine it
is back again. My normal AVG antivirus software is not finding any bad files
but this new one does. How do I get rid of it?

I did a quick google on the name you provided. Lots of hits which I only
scanned briefly but removal is covered.
AVG is quite good but none of these programs are perfect, it's up to the
user to use good judgment and updated security protection.
Dave Cohen