XML Designer and Datasets.

Hi

I am creating a single XML file that shall have data as well as schema of my dataset. I am able to view the full XML source. But how can I use the XML Designer to modify the XML Schema? I can use the Designer to add rows to it. But in order to modify the schema I am requiring to create the .XSD file, which I dont want to. So if I want to make changes to the Schema in XML file, do I need to manually modify the XML file? Also even though my schema is present in seperate XSD file, a change in schema should be reflected in my data file(.XML File) which is not really happeneing. (E.G: If I change the name of field.) Therefore if I have say 1000 Records, then a simple single change in schema would result in manually changing 1000 rows...Is that true..???

Thanks
Amit

Ilya Tumanov [MS]

Amit,

Data designers were not designed as a big time data entry system.
It's rather a convenient tool you can use to enter few records to debug
your code and your schema.

So, yes, should you change your schema, your data is essentially lost.
In some cases (like column name change) you can fix it by using search and
replace, in others (like adding nested relation) you would have to reenter
your data.

I would suggest keeping number of manually entered rows reasonably low
until schema is finalized.
As soon as it's done, you can create a real data entry program or import
data from some data source like SQL Server.

Best regards,

Ilya