XLS files link to XLA files

G

Hi all

I wonder about best practices in implementing Addins in customer systems. Right now my users place the Addin's XLA file in Excel's macro directory (usually in /macrolib) and register it manually in Excel (Tool/Addins). Each time an Excel XLS file uses my Addin's macros, said XLS file saves a link to the XLA file (Edit/Links). The result is that each XLS file that uses my XLA file has a hard link to the XLA file (path included).
Now, my users don't necessarily have the same installed version of Office and their macro directory is not always the same. As a result, when my users share their XLS files around (with hard links to their PCs XLA file), they sometimes get Excel errors saying that the XLA filepath is invalid or that Excel can't register two different XLA files with the same name..
What is considered best practice here? I could ask my user's administrator to set the XLA file on the network on some shared directory, but the users would become dependant of the network to work on their Excel files. Is there a better way? Is it possible to make excel use any available XLA file by telling it not to bother with the actual XLA filepath? If not, is it possible to mess around programmatically with the XLS file's links collection

Thanks
C.

K

Kalle

have a look on

application.addin.path

this tells you where they are actually loated.
Togehter with XLS and a auto_open You should be able to copy it into the
correct path

Ask a Question