XL2010 messing up my templates

IanC

I have a template created in XL2000. If I use it to create a new file
in XL2010, it works as expected until I try to save it. If I opt to
save it as an Excel 97-2003 Workbook (*.xls) I get a warning from
Compatibilty Checker that there are probelms with the workbook.

The messages I get are:
1. "One or more cells in this workbook contain data validation rulles
which refer to values on other worksheets. These data validation rules
will not be saved."

2. "Some formulas in this workbook are linked to other workbooks that
are closed. When these formulas are recalculated in earlier versions
of Excel without opening the linked workbooks, characters beyond the
255-character limit cannot be returned."

Message 2 seems to be a warning which in this case is irrelevant as
none of the data will exceed 255 characters.

Message 1 is more of a problem as it removes the data validation
rules.

Questions:
1. As the template was created in XL2000 and the resulting file
created in XL2010 appears in "Compatibility Mode", why does it think
the data validation is going to be a problem?
2. Apart from saving as *.xlsx, is there anything I can do to retain
the data validation once it is saved?

Jim Cone

A couple of ideas from someone without xl2010.
1...
http://www.computeractive.co.uk/computeractive/q-and-a/2273765/why-won-excel-let-save
"Why won't Excel let me save a spreadsheet?"

2...
Try it using named ranges for the other worksheet references.

Also, I read that 64 bit Office is not always compatible.
(you don't say what you have)
--
Jim Cone
Portland, Oregon USA

..
..

"IanC" <[email protected]>
wrote in message
[...]

Hi Jim

Thanks for trying, but it didn't help. The articel you referred to is
to do with saving files in XL2000 under Windows 7. My problem is when
I try to save from XL2010 in the earlier format.

I'm already using named ranges. It saves a lot of hassle with my code.