XCOPY Robocopy dfs

D

David Procknow

I need to migrate a large amount of data between two servers and retain the
NTFS permissions. What is the best way to go?

XCopy /e /v /i /h /x /y
RoboCopy /e /sec
or create a dfs share and let the data replicate.

Thanks
David P

H

Huseyin Dursun [MSFT]

Hi David,

I guess this a one time process just to migrate the data. Is that right? If so, DFS/FRS retains all file/folder permissions but might not be best bet because of configuration overhead and initial sync up duration. How much data are you trying to migrate?

--
Huseyin Dursun [MSFT]
This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights

Please post FRS related queries in newsgroup
microsoft.public.windows.file_system. Please use "FRS" in the subject to make it
immediately noticeable.

D

David Procknow

It is a one time move of about 135GB. I tried a test run using Robocopy with the /e and /sec parameters. Everything seems to have gone well but it skipped a couple hundred directories.
Hi David,

I guess this a one time process just to migrate the data. Is that right? If so, DFS/FRS retains all file/folder permissions but might not be best bet because of configuration overhead and initial sync up duration. How much data are you trying to migrate?

--
Huseyin Dursun [MSFT]
This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights

Please post FRS related queries in newsgroup
microsoft.public.windows.file_system. Please use "FRS" in the subject to make it
immediately noticeable.

Ask a Question