WXP pro installation problems

Reaction score
Having a problem installing WXP pro.

I was using hitachi 40gb drives but I am using Seagate model ST340014A hard drives now. The mobo and the rest of the hardware hasn't changed.

The problem is this: during the windows setup I get a massive amount of "the file XXXX was not copied correctly". I have run thru changing/checking the hard drive settings, changing/checking the bios and cmos settings, and nothing so far has helped or changed the problem.

I tried to load WXP with a old hitachi I had laying around and I had no problems installing. So I think its safe to assume that it is something about these seagates that is causing the problem.

Have anyone seen this? I couldn't locate anything on seagates website about this. Any suggestions on something I am not seeing or missing?

thanx

edit (10:59 my time)
Changed the drive settings from master to slave to cable select - no change in the problem. Reset the bios/cmos loaded default settings etc. no change.

Intel mobo D865GVHZ, kingston KVR memory 256MB, cd r/w drive (I tried swapping this out with 3 other known good/working cd r/w drives - no change) and a floppy. Have taken out the floppy w/o a change in the problem.

It has stopped several times on ursv42a.dll and is now stopped on esent.dll. It does not always give the same file error can't load. But this error varies it does not always repeat the same error.

need any more info?

Last edited:
Reaction score
What is the exact message that comes up!
This is VERY important as it will enable us to help you quicker!!
Also full system specs please.:thumb:

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
murdoch said:
What is the exact message that comes up!
This is VERY important as it will enable us to help you quicker!!
Also full system specs please.:thumb:
... yep, that will help. :thumb:

What is the 'jumper' set to on the hard drive ?

:user:

Reaction score
problem resolved

Fixed the problem. Downloaded Seagate's DOS HD utility and checked the drive out. It passed and said all was well. Tried to load XP and it failed again.

Went back to DOS HD utility and checked it again, and again all was well. This time I zeroed all data and attempted to load XP again. Everything loaded w/o a hitch. Life is good again in mudville.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
good show old bean ....

Thanks for the reply ... hopefully will help other with a similar problem.

:thumb:

Ask a Question