WWI Photos colourised

Reaction score
My Grandfather fought in WW1 he was a Company Sargent Major 1st Batt Scots Guards and on the retreat from Belgium in 1915 his company was holding the line and at one time they lost all commissioned officers killed or wounded and he was the senior officer on parade in charged of the company. During the day he commanded the men on the defense of the line and during the night he would creep out into no mans land and spot the German artillery return to the trenches and give the concordance of the artillery to the British artillery so they knew where to fire. He was relived 5 days later by commissioned officers and for his duty in holding the line and collecting the information he was awarded the Military Cross. He was later in 1915 hit with shrapnel from a shell burst down his left side and repatriated back to the UK and eventually became the senior Regimental Sergeant Major of the British army. Unfortunately I never met him as one piece of shrapnel had not been found and that moved through his body and pierced his heart in 1942 and is buried in St Peters Church yard Whitfield, he was 60 years old.
I would imagine if people look back over their family history there would many others with realitives with the same sort of story from the first world war and the second world war and also from the following conflicts this country has been involved in.

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
I would imagine if people look back over their family history there would many others with relatives with the same sort of story from the first world war and the second world war and also from the following conflicts this country has been involved in.

Indeed. My great-grandfather was the son of Russian immigrants, and he snuck off to fight in WW1 at the age of 14. His dad had to go and bring him back!

Some of it is so unimaginable to people who have never lived through such atrocities. Seeing those colourised photos does help bring the history to life :nod:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Thanks for posting that link TXD, really enjoyed viewing those and looking at them was a good reminder at what a multi-cultural force the Allies were in both World Wars.

I have no known links to WW1 but I do know my Mums cousin was blown up in a tank in WW2 and my Dad spent the 2nd half of WW2 in India and Burma. He didn't see any real action but had stories to tell, including the witnessing and helping with the liberation of Japanese POW camps in those countries at the end of the conflict.

He never told me any of those stories, incidentally, until about 3 months before he passed on.

Ask a Question