Wrong time/date stamp on email

jferguson-onco

Environment:
Server: Exchange 2007 running on Windows 2003
Client: WXP Pro sp2 running Office 2007 Pro

Problem:
We have a Canon copier/printer/fax that scans and emails a pdf attachment to
any email address. When it sends the email to any user, the time/date stamp
is correct, except for 1 user.
When it is sent to her email address, the time is 5 hours off. This is the
only email in her inbox that is incorrect, all others are correct.
The email shows up immediately, it's not being delayed by 5 hours, just the
time stamp is off.
I've verified that time zone setting are correct in Outlook, her PC, the
Exchange server and the Canon device sending the email. I have tracked the
message in Exchange and all times are correct in the logging but when it gets
to her pc, something happens to the time. I even checked to see if she
inadvertantly created some kind of weird RULE for that sender, nothing.
I've restarted all equipment involved.
I'm really not sure what to check next.

All help/sugestions is greatly appreciated.

Brian Tillman

jferguson-onco said:
Problem:
We have a Canon copier/printer/fax that scans and emails a pdf
attachment to any email address. When it sends the email to any
user, the time/date stamp is correct, except for 1 user.
When it is sent to her email address, the time is 5 hours off. This
is the only email in her inbox that is incorrect, all others are
correct.

And she's using the same Exchange server you are? How is the multifunction
device sending the message? Does it connect to an SMTP server? All of the
Canons I work with send files by SMTP.

jferguson-onco

Yes, same Exchange server for the company.
And it connects via SMTP to the Exchange server.

Brian Tillman

jferguson-onco said:
Yes, same Exchange server for the company.
And it connects via SMTP to the Exchange server.

I'd recheck the time zone settings on all the systems involved, including
the printer. It sounds like something is still using GMT.

Gil Wimmer

Brian Tillman said:
I'd recheck the time zone settings on all the systems involved, including
the printer. It sounds like something is still using GMT.

Gil Wimmer

I have similar symptoms but probably some other root cause. I too have email
being generated by 2 printers in my office that have incorrect time stamps.
One is off by one hour, the other is off by 2. All time configurations on
the devices seem to be in order, Exchange server time is fine. I examined
the header info for the message from the printer off by two hours and the
header had the correct time. The complete header is below. Are there other
causes of this phenomenon?

Microsoft Mail Internet Headers Version 2.0
From: (e-mail address removed)
To: "Gil Wimmer" <gwimmer>
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2008 15:30 :30 -0500

--DC_BOUND_PRE_<1225312230.000074add224>

--DC_BOUND_PRE_<1225312230.000074add224>

--DC_BOUND_PRE_<1225312230.000074add224>--

Diane Poremsky [MVP]

Is the time zone and daylight time correct on the printers?

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

(e-mail address removed)

newsreader to msnews.microsoft.com.

From: (e-mail address removed)
To: "Gil Wimmer" <gwimmer>
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2008 15:30 :30 -0500

Brian Tillman said:
I'd recheck the time zone settings on all the systems involved, including
the printer. It sounds like something is still using GMT.

Gil Wimmer

Neither option is offered.

From: (e-mail address removed)
To: "Gil Wimmer" <gwimmer>
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2008 15:30 :30 -0500

Brian Tillman said:
Yes, same Exchange server for the company.
And it connects via SMTP to the Exchange server.

I'd recheck the time zone settings on all the systems involved, including
the printer. It sounds like something is still using GMT.

Gil Wimmer

It turns out the problem was that the SNTP server had not been specified on
this machine. I changed that, adjusted the time zone, and problem is fixed.
On this particular Ricoh machine, the only way to make these adjustments was
via Telnet - these settings were not available via the standard user tools
interface.

Gil Wimmer said:
Neither option is offered.