WPA Error on XP Open License CD???

We have the Select CD lince agreement with Microsoft where
our XP Image are built with the Enterprise CDs where WPA
is disabled. However, we have the following error on 3
different PCs.

"- Windows Product Activation -
A problem is preventing Windows from accurately checking
the license for this computer. Error Code: 0x80090019"

When I login to the PC with the local Administrator
account or domain I get the above WPA popup. And after
clicking "OK", I am back at the login screen again. This
process continues to Lop back from "Login - to WPA popup -
and back to Login again".

I can ony log into "Safe Mode at the Command Line" and was
unable to run rstrui.exe (system restore). After changing
the shell in registry to Progarm Manager (to run system
restore) I still got the same error lop when trying to log
into XP with Progman.exe as the shell.

I also tried the following which did not work:
- Tried "Last Known Good Configuration" it didn't work

- KB 310794 did not work.
1) For the Security Provider fix by deleting
the "Provider" keys in the registry didn't because they
did not exist
2) for the "Reset Drive Letter" there is only one drive in
the system. And the Provider key with "ImagePath" value
did not exist.

regsvr32 for Both of the following didn't work:
- regwizc.dll
DllRegisterServer in regwizc.dll failed. Return code was:
0x80040154
- licdll.dll
Return code was: 0x80020009

ran "chkdsk -r" but still had the same login problem

Booted From WinPE:
Deleted C:\pagefile.sys (didn't Work)

I need a fix for this problem, if this happens on a larger
number of PCs we will not have enough time or resources to
reImage them all.

cquirke (MVP Win9x)

On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 16:44:06 -0700, "(e-mail address removed)"
We have the Select CD lince agreement with Microsoft where
our XP Image are built with the Enterprise CDs where WPA
is disabled. However, we have the following error on 3
different PCs.
"- Windows Product Activation -
A problem is preventing Windows from accurately checking
the license for this computer. Error Code: 0x80090019"
When I login to the PC with the local Administrator
account or domain I get the above WPA popup. And after
clicking "OK", I am back at the login screen again.

This looks like a Windows Product Activation (WPA) issue, but is
probably not; I've seen it when imaging the installation from one HD
to another, when something didn't quite go right.

I suspect that one of the first things that tries to run is WPA, so
that's the first thing to throw an error.

The situation is stereotypical enough to be worth searching for, via
Google and/or at MS's site.

--------------- ----- ---- --- -- - - -
Tech Support: The guys who follow the
'Parade of New Products' with a shovel.

Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

Hello,
Yep, WPA is just the messenger in this case, they attempt to use a service
and it if fails then they pass along the error message.
Looking in the knowledgebase I found this>
840784 You may receive the "The keyset is not defined" error message when
the
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=840784
This is the error code that you are seeing
So look at your cryptography settings in the registry.
HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Cryptography\Defaults.
Compare all the values under this subkey to a working system.
Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

cquirke (MVP Win9x)

On Sat, 04 Sep 2004 23:13:29 GMT, (e-mail address removed)
Yep, WPA is just the messenger in this case, they attempt to use a service
and it if fails then they pass along the error message.

It does illustrate a risk of PA in general; that it can mistakenly
assume arbitrary situations as "piracy" and thus inappropriately hatch
a DoS payload effect. Nice that this has yet to be exploited.

Chances are, PCs in this state aren't going to run anyway, but it
would be nice to see a more cluefull error message than the equivalent
of a genteel "Die, pirate user scum!" ;-)

--------------- ----- ---- --- -- - - -
Tech Support: The guys who follow the
'Parade of New Products' with a shovel.

Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

Hello,
WPA is just the first in what is more than likely a cascading set of errors
when trying to log onto this system. WPA has some dependancies on certain
services that need to be running as do more things in the Operating
Systems. WPA just happens to be the first one to use this dependancy thus
it displays the error message.
Yes the error message could be better.
Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

cquirke (MVP Win9x)

On Sun, 05 Sep 2004 21:25:04 GMT, (e-mail address removed)
WPA is just the first in what is more than likely a cascading set of errors
when trying to log onto this system.

That was my take as well; it's a bit like lost %WinDir% in Win9x that
can present as "missing HiMem.sys" or "blah blah IFSHlp.sys" ;-)
Yes the error message could be better.

As it seems to be a regular failure pattern, and recovery (i.e.
preservation of the installation) is tuff; is there a /kb on this?

The cases I've seen have often followed partition imaging from one HD
to another, as when changing HDs. Sometimes nudging the partition
size to a different value, and then back again (using BING) may fix.

I'd like to more about this, as it can be an installation-killer!

-------------------- ----- ---- --- -- - - - -
Tip Of The Day:
To disable the 'Tip of the Day' feature...

Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

Hello,
There are some articles on these error messages. There are various error
messages, not just one
310794 "Error Code: 0x80070002" error message cites license-checking issue
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=310794
306081 "Error Code: 0x80004005? error message when you install Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=306081
Also see this article which talks about resetting the system drive letter:
223188 How To Restore the System/Boot Drive Letter in Windows
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=223188

Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

From: "cquirke (MVP Win9x)" <[email protected]>
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage
Subject: Re: WPA Error on XP Open License CD???
Date: Thu, 09 Sep 2004 00:16:33 +0200
<[email protected]>
<[email protected]>

cquirke (MVP Win9x)

There are some articles on these error messages. There are various error
messages, not just one
Thanks!

310794 "Error Code: 0x80070002" error message cites license-checking issue
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=310794

Security provider, drive letter creep - OK
306081 "Error Code: 0x80004005? error message when you install Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=306081

Drive letter creep or WPA damage - OK
Also see this article which talks about resetting the system drive letter:
223188 How To Restore the System/Boot Drive Letter in Windows
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=223188

That problem seems to come up too often for comfort, and all too often
the advice has been to kill the system and start over.

What's interesting is that none of these apply to the contexts where
I've seen the issue, i.e. where an underlying system-level volume
geometry problem may cause XP's attempts to find files to fail.

It's not a problem I often see, possibly because I avoid situations
that would likely cause the issue to arise!

-------------- ---- --- -- - - - -
"I think it's time we took our
friendship to the next level"
'What, gender roles and abuse?'

Kurt_MI

I am TechNet Plus Subscriber and have not yet had reply
from a support person.

Also I post this again today 9-23-2004, under XP Support.
Please respond, thanks

Kurt_MI

Hi Sharon,
Thanks for taking the time to repond and trying to point
me in the right area. I followed you link, but ended up
in the same spot. I tried posting again under
microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support.

Kurt_MI

Sharon F

Hi Sharon,
Thanks for taking the time to repond and trying to point
me in the right area. I followed you link, but ended up
in the same spot. I tried posting again under
microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support.
Hi, Kurt~

If you click the "open in newsreader" link, it does take you back to the
public servers. Don't know if that's intentional or an error at the technet
site. If on the other hand, you use the web interface links, then you end
up in the technet newsgroups. I don't much care for the web interface but
it may be necessary to get to the right area where the 48hour response that
is a part of the technet subscription applies.

Darrel Gorter [MSFT] replied to your original post with a reference to MS
Knowledge Base article: http://support.microsoft.com/?id=840784

You should also check the Cryptographic service is enabled and can try
renaming the catroot folder to oldcatroot before trying the update site
again.

In addition, there are a few widespread keys distributed on the net that
will have trouble getting SP1 and possibly other updates as well. As a
valid subscriber, your keys should work. Most probably you will need to
work with your support person one on one (or post in the technet groups) to
get this straightened out if the above does not help.