WOW a video showing all the original VISTA improvments!

Robert Moir

John said:
I gotta tell you... MS outdid it self this time with VISTA!
They must have spent hours and hours ripping (COUGH!!!) I mean
imagining what new features they would add!

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-4134446112378047444

As someone who actually uses OS X as well as Windows, I'm really not sure
where this idea that Vista is a rip of OS X came from. Presumably from
people who only use one system and learnt everything they knew about the
other one from the register.

Frank

John said:
I gotta tell you... MS outdid it self this time with VISTA!
They must have spent hours and hours ripping (COUGH!!!) I mean imagining
what new features they would add!

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-4134446112378047444
heheheh...I hope the author sent a thank you card to BG at MS for saving
Apple's ass a few years ago with a infusion of cash...like $175 million!
Otherwise he'd still be using a powerchip [sic] and would still be
having to delude himself into believing it was faster than any wintel
setup.
Frank

michael e dziatkowicz

Having used a G4 at my uncle's in Chicago 3 years ago Vista in earlier
builds did look alot like the MacOS X . But in 5308 I can see it is starting
to lean away from the feel of MacOS X now.
Frank said:
John said:
I gotta tell you... MS outdid it self this time with VISTA!
They must have spent hours and hours ripping (COUGH!!!) I mean imagining
what new features they would add!

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-4134446112378047444
heheheh...I hope the author sent a thank you card to BG at MS for saving
Apple's ass a few years ago with a infusion of cash...like $175 million!
Otherwise he'd still be using a powerchip [sic] and would still be having
to delude himself into believing it was faster than any wintel setup.
Frank

Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

The interface is totally different, transparency and a lot of dark hues is
what makes Vistas interface unique. Mac OS X, lots of creamy white and brush
metal. The only similarities would probably be the Gadgets and Widgets.
--
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
Frank said:
John said:
I gotta tell you... MS outdid it self this time with VISTA!
They must have spent hours and hours ripping (COUGH!!!) I mean imagining
what new features they would add!

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-4134446112378047444
heheheh...I hope the author sent a thank you card to BG at MS for saving
Apple's ass a few years ago with a infusion of cash...like $175 million!
Otherwise he'd still be using a powerchip [sic] and would still be having
to delude himself into believing it was faster than any wintel setup.
Frank

John Jay Smith

Most of the concepts used in vista are the same in Mac OSX implemented in a
slightly different manner. Proof of that is this video that is actually a
REAL presentation of VISTA,
that they took the sound, and combined it with video screenshots from Mac
OSX!
This audio is a REAL vista presentation, not a mock up to relate to the
video.

I have not seen one thing yet in vista that gives me a wow factor, or hit me
as an original
great idea. That's what MS does all the time, it follows the leader and
cashes in on the trends!

However it is an advancement even if it got inspiration from others, so I am
not complaining.

John Jay Smith

Its meant for persons who only who do word processing.

if you post that on a mac forum... your goose will be cooked on a overheated
intel chip!

lol

John Jay Smith

a lot of dark hues is what makes Vistas interface unique.

I would like a way to change it into something more cheery...
if it had some alternatives (an not only slightly change of hues) it would
be great.
After all, XP had luna blue, olive and silver.....and classic of course.

John said:
Most of the concepts used in vista are the same in Mac OSX implemented in a
slightly different manner. Proof of that is this video that is actually a
REAL presentation of VISTA,
that they took the sound, and combined it with video screenshots from Mac
OSX!
This audio is a REAL vista presentation, not a mock up to relate to the
video.

I have not seen one thing yet in vista that gives me a wow factor, or hit me
as an original
great idea. That's what MS does all the time, it follows the leader and
cashes in on the trends!

However it is an advancement even if it got inspiration from others, so I am
not complaining.

MS "follows the leader"? You mean like Jobs stealing from Xerox R&D?
Is that what you mean? Are you an Apple groupie? It sure sounds like you
are. That's not quite as bad as being a Limux loser!
But, you need to get a real life cause maybe the one you're currently
living is borrowed or stolen and you don't even know it!
Frank

Noozer

Andre Da Costa said:
I use OS X on my PC, and its nothing like Vista, its a very awkward, clumsy
desktop experience. Its meant for persons who only who do word processing.

I really want to get OSX working on my PC. My current install boots fine in
safe mode but tells me that I have to restart the computer in normal mode.

DFI Lanparty NF4 Ultra-D s939 mainboard, nVidia 7600GT PCIe videocard, PATA
hard drive...

Any pointers are appreciated.

Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

You can, the dark hues is default. To make it more cheery, Open Control
Panel > Personalization > Themes > and select a colour.

John Jay Smith wrote:

I gotta tell you... MS outdid it self this time with VISTA!
They must have spent hours and hours ripping (COUGH!!!) I mean
imagining
what new features they would add!

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-4134446112378047444
heheheh...I hope the author sent a thank you card to BG at MS for
saving Apple's ass a few years ago with a infusion of cash...like $175
million!
Otherwise he'd still be using a powerchip [sic] and would still be
having to delude himself into believing it was faster than any wintel
setup.
Frank

John Jay Smith

Glass never worked for me because my test computer has a TNT display
adaptor,
and I dont want to install the beta on other machines... but I think it
slightly changes the hue and not make the colors very vibrant like fire
read, or luna blue.. etc.

John Jay Smith wrote:

I gotta tell you... MS outdid it self this time with VISTA!
They must have spent hours and hours ripping (COUGH!!!) I mean
imagining
what new features they would add!

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-4134446112378047444
heheheh...I hope the author sent a thank you card to BG at MS for
saving Apple's ass a few years ago with a infusion of cash...like $175
million!
Otherwise he'd still be using a powerchip [sic] and would still be
having to delude himself into believing it was faster than any wintel
setup.
Frank

John Jay Smith

I am not a mac user. I have learned other OS other than windows in order to
gain more understanding about computers in general. I have studied the
history of computer development and praise should go to the people who do
the developments.
But, you need to get a real life cause maybe the one you're currently
living is borrowed or stolen and you don't even know it!
Frank

You need to get a brain.

Robert Moir

Andre said:
The interface is totally different, transparency and a lot of dark
hues is what makes Vistas interface unique. Mac OS X, lots of creamy
white and brush metal. The only similarities would probably be the
Gadgets and Widgets.

Which OSX stole from elsewhere too.

I guess "innovation" in computing is what they call it if no one knows where
you stole your new feature from ;-)

John Jay Smith

Look I am a windows user. Indeed all these companies borrow from each other
ideas.
This is not new, and its not bad as long as it doesn't infringe any patents.
Linux is borrowing heavily on other platforms, mainly windows. (I am talking
about what programs exist and their interfaces not the underlying structure
that is based on unix).

But you HAVE to learn your history. Apple computers are always ahead of
their time
and they are doing innovative work. MS does not try too many new things that
have not been
proven, its strategy as a company is to work on proved ground and cash in on
ideas that work, or people already like. I am not saying that this is bad...
this is how they expanded so much. The pioneers do not always get the best
of their findings.
However you cannot ignore the contribution of people who generate the ideas.
You must learn some computer history. The mouse-desktop-icon interface was
an apple
creation. Also apples proved to the world that a personal computer that is
economic yet powerful is feasible. They were the ones that went beyond
everyone elses belief that computers
must cost millions and only a few could have access to them, and to buy one
was out of the question.

Zack Whittaker

I was just about to note that yeh - Vista really is totally different, and I
still honestly don't think that they've "plagirised" anything from Mac OSX.
But you can almost guarantee that Vista will still be more popular than Mac
OSX because it's Windows - people still trust Windows regardless of the
little *blips* in security... they know how to use Windows and will probably
continue to do so.

--
Zack Whittaker
» ZackNET Enterprises: www.zacknet.co.uk

--: Original message follows :--
Frank said:
John Jay Smith wrote:

I gotta tell you... MS outdid it self this time with VISTA!
They must have spent hours and hours ripping (COUGH!!!) I mean
imagining
what new features they would add!

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-4134446112378047444
heheheh...I hope the author sent a thank you card to BG at MS for saving
Apple's ass a few years ago with a infusion of cash...like $175 million!
Otherwise he'd still be using a powerchip [sic] and would still be
having to delude himself into believing it was faster than any wintel
setup.
Frank

Zack Whittaker

Well using the colour swab selector, you can change it to ANY colour you
want.

--

John Jay Smith wrote:

I gotta tell you... MS outdid it self this time with VISTA!
They must have spent hours and hours ripping (COUGH!!!) I mean
imagining
what new features they would add!

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-4134446112378047444
heheheh...I hope the author sent a thank you card to BG at MS for
saving Apple's ass a few years ago with a infusion of cash...like
$175 million!
Otherwise he'd still be using a powerchip [sic] and would still be
having to delude himself into believing it was faster than any wintel
setup.
Frank

John Jay Smith

Zack would it be too much to ask if you could post some screenshots with
different colors so I can see how it is? Also a screenshot of the color
controls would be interesting. THANKS!

you can use http://imageshack.us/ to upload the screenshots..

thanks!

John Jay Smith wrote:

I gotta tell you... MS outdid it self this time with VISTA!
They must have spent hours and hours ripping (COUGH!!!) I mean
imagining
what new features they would add!

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-4134446112378047444
heheheh...I hope the author sent a thank you card to BG at MS for
saving Apple's ass a few years ago with a infusion of cash...like
$175 million!
Otherwise he'd still be using a powerchip [sic] and would still be
having to delude himself into believing it was faster than any
wintel setup.
Frank

Roy Coorne

Robert Moir scribbled:
I guess "innovation" in computing is what they call it if no one knows where
you stole your new feature from ;-)

Well, it's the zeitgeist, isn't it, whom everybody borrows from...

rOy