World's first working $100 laptop

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
We reported the development of a $100 laptop at the end of September this year. At the time, they said that a working version would be available in November, and true to their word, it is.

The laptop has been designed to be cheap, with the aim that every child may one day have one to help with their education. This scheme would be a massive help to developing countries, and indeed, this bit of kit has been designed with that exact need in mind.

The unit comprises a 500MHz processor, WiFi connectivity, flash memory and a 7" colour LCD screen - all of which runs on Linux, powered by a crank handle. Among the first to place orders for these laptops are Brazil, Chile, Argentina and Thailand.

We would very much like to hear your opinions on this topic - is it a good thing that children are becoming more dependant on computers, or is it a positive development in world education?

Read more at CNN

Attachments

• $100 Laptop.jpg
    $100 Laptop.jpg
    6.3 KB · Views: 1,254

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
... runs at a pokey 500 megahertz
Nothing wrong with that ... as Linux will be quite happy and quick enough. :p

Gates would like Negroponte to use Microsoft software rather than the free open-source alternatives that Negroponte currently favors.
And that would be the end of that then. :rolleyes:

Crank handle ... :D :D :D

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Well, I'm impressed that this isn't just a pipe dream!

I'd like to see one of these in the flesh, as I think it would be different to what I'd expect - especially that screen. Great idea if they can pull it off!

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
im assuming that it works of clockwork, but how long does the wind last and what about it cutting out mid use?

Reaction score
I am doing my best to get my hands on one. I have family in Brazil, plus we are in the freight Forwarding Bussiness. We may even offer to do the shipments to Brazil at a reduced fee. At this point I want one of these... this is a great idea, and will benifit everyone greatly.

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
i knew there was something, i read earlier that they can run for 40mins on a wind which is pretty decent considering it takes 1min to wind it up

Reaction score
But I'm uber lazy... I would figure out a way to detatch the handle easily enough and hook up a high power drill. But still allow the handle to reatatch if I was not home. I am realy interested in seeing the performance of these things. I want to know if we can mod them.

Reaction score
i hope we can put some kind of cooling mod in and whack in an overclock, that would be great, a fast cheap arm hurting laptop

Ask a Question