From: "David" <>
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Sent: Tuesday, June 21, 2005 10:33 AM
Subject: Workaround to 256 Char hyperlink

Word 2003 has a limitation to Internet hyperlinks of 256 characters. This
is
not sufficient for my use. Is there any way to increase this character
count
to a number, greater than 256 characters?

David,
The soundest solution to these types of links is to use
cross-compliant OS system file names and directory names. Making an attempt
to confining names to the old DOS 7-3 format.
Storing your items in created directories with small and simple names
rather than "My Documents/My Pictures/my folder/etc/etc/and on and on.

I have around 5,000 images on my websites and although originally I started
with names for these files, it didn't take me long to realize that numbers
are more efficient and compact. It is however a little extra work storing
the references in a spreadsheet or database.