Wordpad

Todd A

We have a large(70MB).rtf file that we need to be able to
read with wordpad due to formatting issues with MS word.
Under Windows 2000(multiple machines) we are able to open
and print this file per design. We were also able to open
this with wordpad on a Win 98 machine. After replacing the
Win 98 machine with a Win XP machine, we found we can not
open the same file with wordpad on the new XP machine.

When we run wordpad and attempt to open the file, it never
loads/reads the file.

Any assistance would be appreciated
Todd

Rob Schneider

Todd said:
We have a large(70MB).rtf file that we need to be able to
read with wordpad due to formatting issues with MS word.
Under Windows 2000(multiple machines) we are able to open
and print this file per design. We were also able to open
this with wordpad on a Win 98 machine. After replacing the
Win 98 machine with a Win XP machine, we found we can not
open the same file with wordpad on the new XP machine.

When we run wordpad and attempt to open the file, it never
loads/reads the file.

Any assistance would be appreciated
Todd

Suggestions:

Did you try Notepad to confirm the file is indeed "openable" and has
real RTF in it? Maybe file is corrupted/broken.

RTF is a text file and I understand that notepad can open files of this
file (but have not tested). Won't respect the RTF format, though. If
not, you can try another editor that will open large files.

If you wish to simply print the file, does the Word Viewer program work
for you? (avoids Word ... but might have same formatting error).

Jim Macklin

70 MB is too large a file to open with Notepad, if you try,
you'll get a pop-up saying so and an offer/suggestion to use
WordPad instead.

Check the amount of memory available to the buffer. Try
opening a smaller file just to be sure WordPad is working
properly.

70 MB of text is a very big file, when you get it open, I'd
consider making chapters.

"Rob Schneider" <[email protected]>
wrote in message
| Todd A wrote:
|
| > We have a large(70MB).rtf file that we need to be able
| > read with wordpad due to formatting issues with MS word.
| > Under Windows 2000(multiple machines) we are able to
open
| > and print this file per design. We were also able to
open
| > this with wordpad on a Win 98 machine. After replacing
the
| > Win 98 machine with a Win XP machine, we found we can
not
| > open the same file with wordpad on the new XP machine.
| >
| > When we run wordpad and attempt to open the file, it
never
| > loads/reads the file.
| >
| > Any assistance would be appreciated
| > Todd
|
| Suggestions:
|
| Did you try Notepad to confirm the file is indeed
"openable" and has
| real RTF in it? Maybe file is corrupted/broken.
|
| RTF is a text file and I understand that notepad can open
files of this
| file (but have not tested). Won't respect the RTF format,
though. If
| not, you can try another editor that will open large
files.

| If you wish to simply print the file, does the Word Viewer
program work
| for you? (avoids Word ... but might have same formatting
error).

Rob Schneider

Thanks for the clarification on notepad... i was led to believe
(erroneously) that with NT/XP notepad file size limited only by
available memory. Fully agree 70 mb is a huge file, esp. to deal with
via simple tools like Wordpad.

toddkozi

You were correct about XP's notepad. I just opened an 85 MB file in
notepad, no problem.
I was thinking I'd heard wrong, too.
-
Todd

Todd

My problem is that the file that is being opened get's
created by another process and has graphics in it that
Notepad will not display.