----- Original Message -----
From: "epigram" <>
Newsgroups:
microsoft.public.word,microsoft.public.word.docmanagement,microsoft.public.word.general
Sent: Tuesday, March 29, 2005 5:51 PM
Subject: Word, OCR and Epson 1250 Scanner

I've got an Epson Perfection 1250 and I need to scan some text documents
and then edit them in Word. I downloaded the Windows XP drivers for this,
but couldn't find any actual software that I would use to scan documents.
I can use, what appears to be, the built-in support XP has for scanners,
but I can only scan to image files basically. I really need a way to scan
using OCR to create text files that I can edit (e.g. in Word 97). Any
ideas how to do this, or do I have to go buy software to accomplish my
goal?

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!

"Most" scanners, (including your Epson) come with their own OCR software
http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/ProductQuickSpec.jsp?BV_UseBVCookie=yes&oid=6464128&category=

As a rule, Word will not allow the integration of the scanning software from
most scanners.
WordPad however, will work just fine.
Open WirdPad and under FILE,
select ACQUIRE.
Scan and OCR your text, then save as RTF.
Close WordPad, Open Word and contiue as your desire.

Graham Mayor

If your scanner did not come with an OCR software option, you will have to
add one, which means buying software. OCR is quite a challenge for software
so the perfect OCR product doesn't exist. Finereader is as good as it gets.
With lesser products, you would probably be best advised to scan as plain
text and re-edit in Word.

--
<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
Graham Mayor - Word MVP

My web site www.gmayor.com

<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>

lostinspace

"f your scanner did not come with an OCR software"

Hey Graham,
I've had three scanners (one even ran on DOS) over as
twelve year period. NONE came without OCR software.

The problem with all these scanner inquiries is that Word fails to accept
or recognize the scanners OCR software. Word97 did not have this problem and
installed the OCR option from two of the previous scanners. Word2000 would
NOT install either of the two latest scanner OCR options.

Suzanne S. Barnhill

I don't know what OCR software came with my HP scanner. I found it
surprisingly accurate (at the editable flowed text setting), but I
apparently have to direct the output to WordPad and then paste into Word.
<sigh>

--
Suzanne S. Barnhill
Microsoft MVP (Word)