Word Word Error Message

Reaction score
Running XP SP2 and all updates.
When I run Word 97 (I prefer this to the bloated, slow to load Office 2003 version) and open a DOC file. I get a message that this file is in use do I want to make a copy.
I always press cancel and it is OK but it happens every time.
Any solutions ? Thanks for reading

Reaction score
The Microsoft Solution printed below does not work but I realise now that I had created some docs in Word 2003.
The thing is even if I start a new doc in word 97 I get the same thing.
I bet it is something to do with SP1 or SP2 ?

To work around this problem, do one of the following:

• Click Cancel and wait for the document to become available.

-or-
• Click Read Only and open the document as a copy. When you save your changes to the copy of the document, type a different file name in the Save As dialog box and click Save.

NOTE: Using this method creates two separate and different copies of the Word document.

Reaction score
I give in.

Well it seems there is no solution and Microsoft really dont want you using Word, Excel 97.
I have given in and removed them and installed my 2003 versions.

Would someone please agree that this is not exactly progress. I feel another thread coming on.!

With Word 97 it was impossible to see the "egg timer"

Now with the big fat bloated replacement of Word 2003 there is almost time to go and make a cup of tea.

Perhaps I should not be using Word 2003 to type a note to the milkman but surely we should not suffer.

This is Pentium4, 1Gb Ram, Fast Graphics card etc..etc..

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I'm afraid I don't know anything about this problem, but it does seem a bit strange. I quite like 2003, but its a long while since I last used 97 so I don't notice a difference - is it that bad?

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
I use MS Office 2003 and Word opens within a second as do Excel etc, so I feel there must be another problem somewhere slowing things down.
I know that there were issues when loading Office 2003 after removing MS Works where bits of Works were left behind and interfered with the correct installation of Office 2003, I'm wondering if it is the same with Word 97.

The only other thing I can think of is if you have some spyware or a virus.

With your PC spec you shouldn't have any problem:confused:

Last edited:

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
When I had Word 6 (Office 95) we said the same thing about Office 97 ... oh heck, just look at all that Bloat, it's slower, it won't open my Word 6 stuff ... I ain't moving. :D

If you use Office in a work invironment, you HAVE to move to the new one ... 'cos the "built-in" incompatability will hit you soon enough ... you'll get used to MS's 'sneaky' little ways or die trying.

A PIII 233 128MB ram with 98/ME and Office 97 flies and will leave your high-end PC running XP in it's dust ... what do you need a new system for?

OK, back to the topic ...
What system are you running all this 'bloat' on?

Reaction score
Simple answer MS want you to spend> spend> spend!

I had a similar problem with office 2000 after upgrade to SP2?:confused:

It didn’t load slowly though?:confused:

Don’t know what the problem was what I did was save the DOC to the desktop and left it there if I want to use word >quick launch it then worked:confused: it has been ok for a while now:)

Ask a Question