Word 2007 - insert path and filename

Achnacloich

Having very recently installed Office 2007, I am finding things that I could
do in the previous version I had that I do not seem to be able to do in Word
2007.
I had a button that allowed me to insert the full path and filename to any
Word document which I could print out on the document and then read the hard
copy some time later and know where to go to find it again.
Does anyone know how I can achieve this on Word 2007?

macropod

Hi Achnacloich,

The most efficient way is to insert a filename field into the templates upon which the documents are based. That way, the field will
be added to every new document automatically.

Whether your adding the field to a document or a template, you can do it by pressing Ctrl-F9 to create a pair of field braces (ie
'{ }'), then typing 'FILENAME /p' within the field, so that you end up with '{FILENAME /p}'. Press F9 when you're done, to activate
the field.

mexc

follow the steps
Use Insert and goto QuickParts,
Under QuickParts click Field Names and select Filename.
Check the option to add the path and click ok
Select the Filename/path and then use Alt+F3 to create a new Quick Part so
that you can select it whenever needed

omnitechsupport

If you want to insert file name and full path to the Footer of a document, do
the following steps.

1. At first, open up Word 2007.
2. Go to the “Insert†tab and click “Footerâ€, choose “Blank†from the
dropdown menu.
3. Once you are working with the footer, you will notice that the “Header
and Footer†tools show up as the last tab on your ribbon.
4. Select the “Design†tab under “Header and Footer tools.â€
5. Find the “Insert†group and click on “Quick Parts†and select “Field.â€
6. The “Field†dialogue box will then appear on the screen. Under
“Categories†select “Document information.â€
7. Under “Field Names†select “FileNameâ€, then on the far right side of the
window click the checkbox “Add Path to File Nameâ€. Click “Okâ€.
8. You should now have the file name and/or path inserted into the footer of
your document. Take your cursor and highlight the file path you just
inserted.
9. Now go back to the “Insert†tab and once again click “Footerâ€. Click on
the last option “Save Selection to Footer Gallery.â€
10. You will then be prompted with a dialogue box. Type in the name you
desire and click “Okâ€.
11. Now you will notice the building block with the name you specified at
the bottom of the Footer drop-down list. Click it to insert the information
into the footer of the document.

Achnacloich

Thanks macropod. Tried to follow the instructions but no luck.

Achnacloich

--
Cheers
macropod

Achnacloich said:
Having very recently installed Office 2007, I am finding things that I could
do in the previous version I had that I do not seem to be able to do in Word
2007.
I had a button that allowed me to insert the full path and filename to any
Word document which I could print out on the document and then read the hard
copy some time later and know where to go to find it again.
Does anyone know how I can achieve this on Word 2007?

Achnacloich

Thanks Mexc but no luck so far. Think I must be doing something wrong as all
it does is come up with C:drive/..../...../path & filename instead of the
path and filename of the document I have saved.

Achnacloich

Achnacloich

Thanks for the info. It all worked right down to No.11 but then it just came
up with C:drive/.../.../path & filename every time I tried to use it for a
document I have saved previously today rather than the path and filename of
the doc!
Any suggestions?

Achnacloich

macropod

In what sense 'no luck'?

If you're getting 'C:drive/..../...../path & filename' as indicated in your other replies, that indicates the field is working
correctly.

--
Cheers
macropod

Achnacloich said:
Having very recently installed Office 2007, I am finding things that I could
do in the previous version I had that I do not seem to be able to do in Word
2007.
I had a button that allowed me to insert the full path and filename to any
Word document which I could print out on the document and then read the hard
copy some time later and know where to go to find it again.
Does anyone know how I can achieve this on Word 2007?

Graham Mayor

If the field is in the template it will only update automatically when you
create a new document from the template. It sounds as though you are using a
document as a template and resaving it with a new name. This is in any case
bad practice, but you can update the field by selecting it and pressing F9
once you have saved the document. If you are using such a practice, save the
document as a template and create new documents from it instead.

--
<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
Graham Mayor - Word MVP

My web site www.gmayor.com

<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>

Robert M. Franz (RMF)

Achnacloich said:
Thanks Mexc but no luck so far. Think I must be doing something wrong as all
it does is come up with C:drive/..../...../path & filename instead of the
path and filename of the document I have saved.

C:.../filename.doc(x) supposedly *is* path and filename of your document.

HTH
Robert

Suzanne S. Barnhill

Are you inserting the field braces using Ctrl+F9 and then typing FILENAME /p
between them?

Joined
Apr 10, 2012
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
To insert filename with path do following:
1. Press 'Ctrl+F9' - result will be { }.
2. Then type { FILENAME \P \*MERGEFORMAT } in side bracket, press enter.
3. Left click on then click on update field. Now you can see path and filename of current file.
4. For future use select the path go to home buttone
Click on word option à proofing àAuto Correct options àgive shortcut (as you wish like path etc.) in Replace à click on add then OK.

Try it
Regards.

Next time when you type and press enter the shortcut given path and filename of the current file will displayed.