Word Word 2002 Problem - Numbered list styles

Reaction score
This problem occurs when editing large documents by many people in word 2002.
The numbered list in question is a custom style, with only 1 level. The list is broken and restarted many times throughout this one document. However, after it has been opened and edited by another user, all the numbered lists change...

Example:
1. first list
2. first list
3. first list
(paragraph text)
1. second list -first item on subsequent lists have correct numbering
4. second list -all following items seem to continue the original list???
5. second list
etc...

if anyone has any suggestions on how to stop this from happening, it would be most appreciated. When the problem continues over a document with over 100 pages, correcting it takes hours.

alternatively, is it possible to convert the numbers to normal text without re-typing them all?

Many Thanks

Reaction score
I've never used a 'custom' style, but I have used one level. I can think of a few reasons why this might occur (e.g. with numerous people only downloading parts, they may not have set their Word document in your custom style, although what I think is also possible is that someone inadvertently typed in numbers rather than used the icon or did not go to Format>numbering to tell the compuer to start numbering from, for example, 8 instead of 1).
I can think of no easy way to correct this, although someone more adept might. Although time consuming, the only way to correct this that occurs to me is to select all, delete the numbering, (and that way you can also see if someone typed in the numbers by mistake), and then renumber one page at a time (using the icon, and if necessary going to Format and then numbers), and then next time advise editors on how to number.
Good Luck
Linda

Reaction score
One other think just occured to me. Although you are asked not to post a question in more than one forum, I suggest you ask it in the Microsoft Office Forum (see left side of site below Newsgroups)

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Bawcom said:
One other think just occured to me. Although you are asked not to post a question in more than one forum, I suggest you ask it in the Microsoft Office Forum (see left side of site below Newsgroups)
Good call ... no problem asking in there as well.

:thumb:

Ask a Question