word 2002 - Office XP and the HTML Filter for Word 2000

Jo West

I am using Office XP and Word 2002.

I am editing an html system using Word and want to filter
the Office specific markup tags in the final copy. Can I
use the HTML Filter 2.0 for Word 2000 to do this? Or is
there another way in XP to accomplish this?

Thanks

Shauna Kelly

Hi Jo

Word 2002 can save as HTML in two ways. File > Save As. In the Save As Type box, you'll see Web Page and Web Page (Filtered).

If you choose the plain (un-filtered) option, you get very messy markup, because Word saves all the formatting of the document (even
information about formatting that HTML doesn't support) to allow round-tripping back to Word.

But if you choose the filtered option, you will get less Office-specific markup, but you will lose the opportunity to roundtrip
complex formatting back to Word.

Hope this helps.

Shauna Kelly. Microsoft MVP.
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word
Melbourne, Australia

Hi Shaun

I save many documents "as html" in Word 97, then edit/apply templates etc in Dreamweaver before uploading them as small as possible in file size to the intranet server in our organisation. We are moving onto Windows XP and Office XP (and Dreamweaver MX) but my concern is that we did a test: We opened a document in Word XP and did "Save as HTML" and the htm file is a lot larger than Word 97 used to create with a lot of extra tags in the htm code. What can we do? Is there a way we can configure Word XP (and for that matter Excel XP I guess) to make a smaller more basic output

I thought we could do a serach and replace to remove tags using a macro, but our technical team says no because Word XP does not allow to see the htm code in Word (apparently it appears in a script editor instead?!?

Would appreciate any advice or direction to look for help

Thank you for your time.

I hear we can use a "Filter"?

Where does this come from for XP, and can we refine it to save on file size?

Again, thanks for any advice!

lostinspace

[...]

Hello Paul,
Before I provide some explanation and suggested
solutions?

As my fee :)

1) I'm curious to understand how you were prompted to begin saving web
pages through Word?

2) And after dealing with that (obviously you had to do so in order to
modify the files,) why on earth would you continue to do so?
Even after you found tools which do the job more efficiently and more
acceptable to more browsers?

lostinspace