WMP10 and DVD Codecs

Frank Bohan

I recently installed WMP10. Unlike the previous version, I find it will not
play DVDs. An internet search for codecs led to:
http://www.xpforum.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8695 . This points to several
possible freeware solutions (unlike the Microsoft site which only seems to
list payware DVD codecs), but I would be glad of any advice on this.

===

Frank Bohan
¶ A kleptomaniac has the gift of the grab.

Mark Warner

Frank said:
I recently installed WMP10. Unlike the previous version, I find it will not
play DVDs. An internet search for codecs led to:
http://www.xpforum.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8695 . This points to several
possible freeware solutions (unlike the Microsoft site which only seems to
list payware DVD codecs), but I would be glad of any advice on this.

Welcome to DRM.

As I'm not a multimedia aficionado, I don't have anything concrete to
offer, other than warn you away from anything media-related from
Microsoft. This is just the tip of the iceberg. And Vista is gonna be a
nightmare in this regard.

The freeware multimedia gurus will be along shortly. In addition to
their suggestions, you might want to consider taking a look at Linux.
It's come a long, long way in the last year or so, and many distros will
handle all your multimedia requirements without difficulty, right out of
the box (or nearly so).

badgolferman

john

You are incorrect. All WMP players could not play dvds without a dvd player
installed or a dvd plugin installed.

Quote from Paul Thurriott's supersite

http://www.winsupersite.com/reviews/wmp10.asp
"One feature that's still missing in action with WMP 10 is DVD decoding.
That means that you will still need to purchase a third party DVD decoder to
play back a DVD movie with WMP 10. (As with MP3 encoders, these products are
available cheaply from a variety of sources.) Microsoft's somewhat logical
argument is that most PCs, and virtually all standalone DVD drives, ship
with a DVD decoder, so most people won't need one anyway."

Install this free dvd player, that seems to be very good:
http://www.avsmedia.com/DVDPlayer/index.aspx

Other players that can play DVDs are VLC
http://www.videolan.org/ (Take a look at how many formats this
program can handle http://www.videolan.org/vlc/features.html )

and Windows Media Player Classic
http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=82303&package_id=84358For more information, skins, plugins, bonus packs, powertoys for WMP see myWMP page:http://www.computerboom.com/download/wmp-comparisons.htm--Kenny - www.ComputerBoom.comTake a look at my site!A World Full of Wonders...If you can imagine it, it is possible.--"Frank Bohan" <[email protected]> wrote in messagenews:[email protected]...>I recently installed WMP10. Unlike the previous version, I find it will notplay DVDs. An internet search for codecs led to:http://www.xpforum.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8695 . This points to severalpossible freeware solutions (unlike the Microsoft site which only seems tolist payware DVD codecs), but I would be glad of any advice on this.>> ===>> Frank Bohan> ¶ A kleptomaniac has the gift of the grab.>>

Duddits

I recently installed WMP10. Unlike the previous version, I find it will not
play DVDs. An internet search for codecs led to:
http://www.xpforum.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8695 . This points to several
possible freeware solutions (unlike the Microsoft site which only seems to
list payware DVD codecs), but I would be glad of any advice on this.

===

Frank Bohan
¶ A kleptomaniac has the gift of the grab.
VLC Player
http://www.videolan.org/vlc/
or
Media Player Classic
http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=82303&package_id=84358

I use/like both. WMP has never even started on my puters.

regards

Dud

Fran

If you just need the codecs, Coda codec pack is small and has all needed for
DVD playback. If wmp still doesn't work, try Media Player Classic.

Frank Bohan

--

Thanks for your helpful reply. I already have Media Player Classic, but had
not realised that it could play DVDs. It does a nice job. However I will

===

Frank Bohan
¶ Who's General Failure and why is he reading my disk?

Frank Bohan

Mark Warner said:
Welcome to DRM.

As I'm not a multimedia aficionado, I don't have anything concrete to
offer, other than warn you away from anything media-related from
Microsoft. This is just the tip of the iceberg. And Vista is gonna be a
nightmare in this regard. <snipped>

Recently saw a review of Vista in a newsletter. It seems that there will be
SIX different versions of Vista, with possibly other regional variants. On
the good side, it seems that WMP will NOT be included. Thanks for your
reply.

===

Frank Bohan
¶ Give a man enough rope and he'll claim he's tied up at the office.

Frank Bohan

badgolferman said:
You might consider VLC media player as your default media player.
http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

Thanks for your reply. Videolan and Media Player Classic were recommended in
another response. I already have MPC (just did not realise that it would
play DVDs) but I take a look at Videolan also.

===

Frank Bohan
¶ The worst thing about censorship is XXXXXXXXXX.