WMP Error Codes

I get one of two error codes when trying to play Netflix online movies. they
are: COOD11B1 or COOD1052. These appear within a few seconds of starting the
movie, and of course that's the end of the movie. I didn't see either of
these codes in the list of trouble codes at this page. I have spent many
hours on the phone with both Netflix and Gateway techs and the only
conclusion they can come up with is that WMP is corrupt. Both of those site's
techs have used Remote access to gain control of my computer, but to no
avail. The OS is Vista Ultimate and the computer is a Gateway FX530XV. the
video card - Nvidia 7950GT - and the sound card have had the latest driver
updates installed. At the recomendation of these techs I did a factory
restore, in which I lost everything that was in the memory, and was able to
watch two movies after the restore operation but then things went back to the
way they were and I still get the error codes. I have tried Netflix's Reset
DRM program as well as what their system billed as a WMP 11 upgrade, but
nothing has helped. I have no trouble watcing their DVDs, but apparently they
do not have any DRM codes associated with them. I have not tried any other
protected material as I listen primarily to PBS and do not subscribe to any
of Comcast's HI DEF programs. They, by the way, are my ISP after I got tired
of Bellsouth and their slow DSL connection. With the 2 online movies that I
was able to watch they were as clear as DVDs.
I would greatly appreciate any input as to what these codes mean and
what cn be done to rectify this disgusting situation. I DO NOT want to do
another factory restore especially since the last one did no good at all. Let
me thank any contributors to the solution of this problem in advance. I sure
hope that someone can come up with an idea of what will cure this malady.
Incidentlly the last tech that I was talking to at Netflix said that there
had been a couple of other incidents of this problem, not yet corrected, that
also happened to computers with Vista. Of course WMP is too deeply ingrained
in Vista to be able to do anything with it so far as I've been told. HELP
PLEASE!

I am having the same problem with WMP trying to view NetFlix streaming
movies. Going to the XP log is not viable as the XP version of WMP will not
load on a Vista machine. Netflix tech’s have not been able to help this has
been very frustrating but I guess Microsoft wanted us to learn about the OS
by have all sorts of fixes that don’t work.

Chad Harris

Yo "/anboy56"--

First of all, WMP 11 can be downloaded onto XP. You're on Vista and you
could go to Event Viewer as one log. Eventvwr.msc in run box or event
viewer in search>Windows logs>Application. This type of thing is often
solved by matching the error you get when you try to view the Netflix movies
with errors at one of these places (my allstar resources for fixing WMP 11
problems):

Try the first two first:

You also might get help searching for the error at these three prime help
locations for WMP11:

Troubleshooting I
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/knowledgecenter/default.aspx

Troubleshooting II
http://support.microsoft.com/gp/tshoot_wmp11_more

Also from that link, I direct your attention to these guys:

You may experience problems when you try to play audio files or video files
in Windows Media Player
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/926373

Error message when you play a file in Windows Media Player on a Windows
Vista-based computer: "Invalid File Format. (Error=8004022F)"
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/924073/en-us

A blank screen opens in Windows Media Player 11 instead of the DVD movie
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923129/en-us

Chris Lanier's Blog WMP Help (Specific Solutions for Specific Errors)
http://msmvps.com/blogs/chrisl/archive/2004/10/30/17399.aspx

Zach Robinson [Lead Developer on Windows Media Core Services team at MSFT}
http://zachd.com/pss/pss.html

Good luck,

CH

/anboy56 said:
I am having the same problem with WMP trying to view NetFlix streaming
movies. Going to the XP log is not viable as the XP version of WMP will
not
load on a Vista machine. Netflix tech’s have not been able to help this
has
been very frustrating but I guess Microsoft wanted us to learn about the
OS
by have all sorts of fixes that don’t work.

Hi; This is Chuck E again with a progress report. The first thing I tried after last writing was a factory restore to restore the OS to the condition it was in when I bought the computer. This helkped for a time but then the error codes began to reappear. This time a notice from Netflix appeared saying that a "new component of WMP was needed and could be downloaded." I did this and from that time on everything has worked the way that it ought to . I really don't know if the main reason for the correction of the problem was due more to the factory restore or the download from Netflix. I have the feeling that I may have downloaded something similar before the factory restore, but I honestly can't remember if it was the same thing or not. All has been well for a couple of months now with no prolbems wither with the audio or video of the online movies, and I've watched quite a few hours od them. I have checked the box to be notified if there are replies to this, and should anyone
have further questions I'll be glad to give whatever input I can either in one of these locations or directly to a questioner if you include youir address. Good luck to all who are having to deal with this annoying situation.

/anboy56 said:
I am having the same problem with WMP trying to view NetFlix streaming
movies. Going to the XP log is not viable as the XP version of WMP will
not
load on a Vista machine. Netflix tech’s have not been able to help this
has
been very frustrating but I guess Microsoft wanted us to learn about the
OS
by have all sorts of fixes that don’t work.

Hello; This is Chuck E again. After much head scratching and more time spent with GAteway techs as well as Netflix, the upshot was that my best bert would be to do a factory restore, which essentially replaces the OS with the same version that was shipped with the computer. First off, I need to warn anyobdy else who tries this to be sure that all files such as email and Word be stored on a remote device or maybe a DVD. I was doing a restiore with backup, so I didn't think that I had to ake independent measures, but it turned out that "backup" really didn't seem to mean anything, as I lost all the files that were associated with the original system.
At any rate, with thee renewed Vista installed things seemed to work ok
for a time and then the error codes started again. This time after the error
code appeared, Netflix Flashed a message that some component needed to be
added to WMP. I let that installation proceed and that was the end of the
problems. Everything ahs been working well for a couple of months now with no
more error codes or problems with either auido or video playback.
I don't know if this would have solved the problem before the factory
restore, but whatever the component that was added was, it worked. If anyone
else has similar problems I'd sugggest getting in touch with Netflix and ask
them for whatever it was that fixed the WMP problem. Since that occurence I
have had no trouble at all with Vista or with Outlook 2007 or Word 2007. It
is a great pleasure to have it all workiing the way that it should have all
along. I wish that I had a better understanding of just what was done, but I
can say that the combination of the factory restore with the added "component
of WMP" worked quite well and I have had no further problems . There may well
be more than one reply here. At one point I thought that this ahd all been
erased, so submitted it again in nearly the same form, but after posting that
other one I found that this was still here so I'll try the post again.

My solution came at the end of a cable literally. Went back to NetFlix and
the tech recommended that I replace the DVI cable that I was using with a VGA
cable – Problem solved no more DRM or error codes. The monitor is a
Princeton LV19 LCD that is about 4 years old. She mentioned that some of the
older flat panels do not handle the digital rights correctly.

/anboy56 said:
I am having the same problem with WMP trying to view NetFlix streaming
movies. Going to the XP log is not viable as the XP version of WMP will
not
load on a Vista machine. Netflix tech’s have not been able to help this
has
been very frustrating but I guess Microsoft wanted us to learn about the
OS
by have all sorts of fixes that don’t work.

:

Please visit the WMP newsgroup and seek assistance there:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/...soft.public.windowsmedia.player&lang=en&cr=US