Wireless connection

Tim Brown

Hi,

I have a Toshiba Portege 2000 with an onboard wireless LAN mini PCI card but
I am unable to make a wireless connection. The laptop is running Windows
2000 SP4 and I have installed Toshiba's wireless Client Manager. Wireless
networks are not detected automatically and there are no options to connect
to available wireless networks. Do I need to do any further configurations?
I have heard that there is a known issue with W2K SP4 and wireless
networking...is this correct?

JP Bless

I use wireless on my win2000 SP4 without problems. Though I am using Dlink
wireless card. The Dlink has configuration manager with configuration window
that enables "available networks" detection. Have you checked the device
manager to ensure your wireless card is set up properly? Is your router set
to not broadcast SSID? Though shouldn't matter. Usually I set the router to
initially broadcast SSID and then reset it back to not broadcast SSID after
setting up network connection. Though I don't know about Toshiba Portege
settings about I would think they are not too different from other wireless
network configuration.

Steve Parry [MVP]

Tim Brown said:
Hi,

I have a Toshiba Portege 2000 with an onboard wireless LAN mini PCI
card but I am unable to make a wireless connection. The laptop is
running Windows 2000 SP4 and I have installed Toshiba's wireless
Client Manager. Wireless networks are not detected automatically and
there are no options to connect to available wireless networks. Do I
need to do any further configurations? I have heard that there is a
known issue with W2K SP4 and wireless networking...is this correct?

There's an on/off switch for the wifi on those Toshibas I think, have
you cheked the wireless is switched on?

Ken Zhao [MSFT]

Hello Tim,

Thank you for using newsgroup!

I am sorry for the delayed response due to weekend.

I'd like to appreciate JP Bless and Steve's good notifications first. Based
on your issue, I suggest you first check the wireless device in Device
Manager to see if it works fine. If not, I suggest you uninstall the device
driver and download and install the latest driver from Toshiba web site to
see if the issue still occurs. If the problem persists, you may use another
wireless card to test the issue again.

Meanwhile, this similar issue also may be caused by the incorrect
configurations of wireless router. Please check the settings of wireless
router to see if it has been configured properly. For more related
information, you may contact the manufacturer of the router.

In addition, as I know, it seems there is not a known issue on this issue.

Thanks & Regards,

Ken Zhao

Microsoft Online Partner Support

Newsgroup Web Interface Upgrade
Please complete a one-time registration process on your first visit to the
Partner Portal beginning July 11, 2005 at 9 A.M. PST by entering the secure
code mspp2005 when prompted. This secure code will be valid for 6 months
after which you will need to update your registration by entering the new
secure code. We will post announcements in the newsgroups prior to
expiration. Once you have entered the secure code mspp2005 , you will be
able to update your profile and access the the partner newsgroups. Please
update your Favorites link to the newsgroups web page, your current link
will redirect until November 1, 2005.
Please post any comment, questions or concerns to the
microsoft.private.directaccess.partnerfeedback newsgroup. For more
information, please go to:
https://partner.microsoft.com/global/technicalsupport/registeredsupport/4001
4662

--------------------
| From: "Tim Brown" <[email protected]>
| Subject: Wireless connection
| Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2005 12:00:25 +0100
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.general
|
| Hi,
|
| I have a Toshiba Portege 2000 with an onboard wireless LAN mini PCI card
but
| I am unable to make a wireless connection. The laptop is running Windows
| 2000 SP4 and I have installed Toshiba's wireless Client Manager.
Wireless
| networks are not detected automatically and there are no options to
connect
| to available wireless networks. Do I need to do any further
configurations?
| I have heard that there is a known issue with W2K SP4 and wireless
| networking...is this correct?

Tim Brown

After alot of playing with configuration settings I now have a better
understanding of how the client manager works. The client has to be
manually configured with the name and encryption key of the wireless
network. This might sound basic but I am used to working with XP which is
more automated.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!

Ken Zhao [MSFT]

Hi Tim,

Thanks for your efforts and response!

I am glad to hear our explanations point you in the right direction. If you
have any other questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact me.
It is always my pleasure to be of assistance.