Wireless Connection Shows Connected But Acquiring IP Address

I've been asked to look at a laptop which has got a problem with the wireless
connection. The Windows wireless utility shows that it is connected to the
wireless network but it is constantly acquiring an Ip address and cannot
connect through to the Internet.

I've swept the machine for malware and I've run LSPfix (which repairs
Winsock) but the problem still remains. The problem isn't Router specific as
I've tried it with different wireless routers.

Can anyone advise?

Helen Li [MSFT]

Dear Customer,

From your description, I understand that the Windows XP computer cannot
obtain the IP address from the access point of Wireless network.

Based on my research and experiences, the possible reasons for this issue
are:
1. The outdated network adapter driver
2. DHCP client service settings
3. TCP /IP component

We can take the following steps to narrow down and troubleshoot this issue:

Step 1: Update network adapter driver
====================
1. Click Start -> Run and type devmgmt.msc in the Open: list. Press Enter
to open the Device Manager.
2. Expand to the network adapter and double-click the one in use to open
its Properties.
3. Under the Driver tab, click Update Driver button to update it using the
latest and compatible driver.

Step 2: DHCP Client service
===============
When the DHCP client - Windows Vista computer can not contact the DHCP
server, the APIPA address will be assigned. Let us check the setting of the
DHCP Client service:

1. Click Start and enter services.msc in the Start Search to Services
console.
2. In the Services list, right-click DHCP Client to select Properties.
3. Under the General tab, click Automatic in the Startup type list.
4. In the Service status area, if the service is not started, click Start.
5. Under the Logon tab, ensure the hardware profile is enabled. Click OK.

Step 3: Check Network Component
================
1. Click Start, and then click Control Panel.
2. If Control Panel is set to Category View, click Switch to Classic View.
3. Double-click Network Connections, right-click Local Area Connection, and
then click Properties.
4. On the General tab, ensure the Client for Microsoft Networks and TCP/IP
are installed and checked.

If the issue still occurs, please collect the following information to me:

1. When did this issue begin to happen?
2. Do all the computers in the same network encounter the same symptom?

If you have any further questions or concerns on the above, please feel
free to post back, where I will be happy to answer any of your questions.

Regards,

Helen Li, MCSE 2003

Microsoft Online Partner Support
| From: =?Utf-8?B?RGVsbCBCb3k=?= <Dell (e-mail address removed)>
| Subject: Wireless Connection Shows Connected But Acquiring IP Address
| Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2007 09:58:01 -0700
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web
|
| I've been asked to look at a laptop which has got a problem with the
wireless
| connection. The Windows wireless utility shows that it is connected to
the
| wireless network but it is constantly acquiring an Ip address and cannot
| connect through to the Internet.
|
| I've swept the machine for malware and I've run LSPfix (which repairs
| Winsock) but the problem still remains. The problem isn't Router specific
as
| I've tried it with different wireless routers.
|
| Can anyone advise?

Thanks Steven and Jack.

I solved it myself a little while after I posted like this:

1. Connected the laptop to a wireless Router with all security switched off.
2. Shut down the laptop (re-start doesn't work).
3. (When the laptop starts up it automatically re-connects to the Router
with no security.) Connected the laptop to the secured Router.

And that was it. Thanks again for responding.

Steven L Umbach

It is not actually connected to the wireless network until it has an IP. You
can use the command ipconfig to see if it has one or not.

Check that the router has available IPs left to issue and possibly increase
the scope size if very small. For a test see if it will connect with static
IP configuration. If not then there is probably some other problem such as
incompatible mode [A/B/G/N/hybrids], incompatible encryption [WEP/WPA
types].

Just because the wireless adapter works with other wireless routers
certainly does not mean that issue is not with the current router. If
possible verify that other wireless clients can access the router in
question without any issue. If nothing seems to help try unplugging the
router and plug it back in to soft restart it and configure it for no
encryption in B/G mode, and change the wireless network name to see if the
computer can then connect to the new wireless name assuming the wireless
adapter can do B or G and you have verified that those modes are available
in the network adapter advanced properties.

Steve

Helen Li [MSFT]

Dear Customer,

Thanks for keeping us updated that you have figured the issue out.

If there are any concerns or questions on this issue, please feel free to
let me know and I will be happy to help you.