Wireless card stops very often to function after sleep in Windows Vista Enterprise SP1

Kenneth

I have some Dell laptops (d830, d620, d630) that has problems with the
wireless networkcard (Intel Wireless 4965 AGN).
Very often it stops to function after the computer has been to sleep.

I have spoken to dell and they have had issues with this before, but it has
always been resolved with this fix http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929734
which is included in SP1.

The wireless icon still apears in the bottom right corner with a red cross
over it.
When you click it it says that it's connected with limited access.
The wireless card will not apear when you run ipconfig
If you disconnect it will not connect successfully again
It seems like it manages to find all availble networks, but you can not
connect successfully to any of them.

I have tried to install this fix reagardless that I already have SP1, but
this won't install. Probley because it has already been applied.
Also tried the Regedit workaround mentioned in the KB.
I have set the power option to high preformance, but it still happends when
the computer is manual set to sleep.

Is there a solution to this problem?

Barb Bowman

see http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/933872/en-us

also, unbind IPv6
http://digitalmediaphile.wordpress.com/ipv6-how-to-unbind-from-a-nic-in-windows-vista/

--

Barb Bowman
MS-MVP

Jian-Ping Zhu [MSFT]

Hello,

Thanks for your post as well as to Joe and Barb for the information sharing.

According to your description, my understanding is that when you waked a
Windows Vista-based computer from sleep, the wireless card on the machine
would not function correctly. You have already installed Windows Vista SP1
on your machines which includes the hotfix provided in KB929734. If there
is any misunderstanding, please let me know.

Analysis and Suggestions
===================

This issue might be a hardware compatibility issue. The wireless card might
not be correctly waked after the computer is waked from sleep.

As the hotfix has already been installed and this makes no difference, I
recommend you change the wake up computer Option for the wireless card
device so that the computer will not turn off the device when it is set to
sleep.

Please follow the below steps:

1. Open Device Manager

a. Open Control Panel.
b. Click Device Manager icon.
c. Open Network adapters and select the Wireless card device..

2. Right click the wireless card device and click Properties.

3. On Power Management tab, uncheck "Allow the computer to turn off this
device to save power."

After that please have another test and let me know the result.

Thanks again for using newsgroup and I look forward to hearing from you
soon. :)

Sincerely,
Neo Zhu,
Microsoft Online Support

Pavel A.

Before you try other advises and change any config,
try to disable & enable the 4965 in device manager when it's not working.
Will it work normally then?

--PA

Jian-Ping Zhu [MSFT]

Hello,

I'm wondering if the suggestion has helped or if you have any further
questions.

Please feel free to respond to the newsgroups if I can assist further.

Thanks.

Sincerely,
Neo Zhu,
Microsoft Online Support