WinXP Pro Partially Installs, but Will Not Finish Installation

A

\ AA Smith\

This computer has an ASUS P3V4X motherboard, Pentium III 600MHz processor, 512mb SDRAM, 1 80gb hard disk, 4 CD-ROMS and all the other usual equipment. Both the motherboard and processor are upgrades to my previous ASUS P3B-F motherboards & 540 MHz processor.

I have been through this installation 3 times today and I'm now on my fourth attempt. Here's what's happening:

This morning I installed a new motherboard and processor on one of my existing computers. After a few false starts, I finally got the computer to boot up, but that's where the trouble began. I don't know exactly what happened, however, a message appeared during Windows startup reporting some disk inconsistency on my C: drive. So, it ran CHKDSK or something similar. I didn't catch all of it because a distraction drew my attention away for a few moments. I did see, out of the corner of one eye, a whole slew of messages in white text whiz past the screen downward so fast that no one could hope to read them. I don't know what that did, but Windows would not boot up after that. Any attempt to do so ended with a BSOD.

I thought maybe I could get WinXP Pro Setup to Repair my existing Windows installation. However, nothing doing. Evidently whatever happened when all those messages flew down my screen, had messed my hard drive up so badly that Setup could not detect my existing Windows installation. Consequently, Setup did not give me the option to repair an existing Windows installation.

So, I decided to reinstall WinXP Pro from scratch. That is, I let Setup delete the primary (only) partition on my C: drive, then run a slow format before installing WindowsXP Pro.

Setup ran without a hitch until it completed the Finalizing Installation step and then rebooted the computer. When the initial motherboard boot process finished, the Boot from CD option appeared. I did not press any key to make it boot from the CD. Then the following messages appeared in white text on the black screen:

Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:

\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM

You can attempt to repair this by starting Windows Setup using the original CD-ROM.
Select 'r' at the first screen to start repair.

I have no idea how to run the Repair Console, so I didn't even try the only option suggested.

Actually, I THOUGHT something odd must have happened during my first reinstallation attempt, so I ran Setup again. However, the same thing happened during the second attempt.

So, I disconnected that hard disk and installed a brand new hard drive and ran Setup on the new drive only to wind up encountering the very same error on my third attempt to install WINXP Pro.

I then began to wonder if the problem was being caused by some defect in the WinXP Pro Installation CD. It appeared to be ok, but I polished it a bit anyway, then ran Setup for the fourth time today; this time with the installation CD mounted in a different CD-ROM drive.

The fourth time, Setup ran the first 4 steps without a hitch. It started the Finalizing Installation step and progressed to the point where it displayed a message stating that it was Removing any temporary files used, and another message reporting "Setup will completer in approximately 1 minute." That was a full 10 minutes ago. The 5 tic mark array of progress bars keep flickering in the lower right corner of the screen as if WinXP Pro Setup is still doing something and the informational text display touting all the new features in WinXP Pro keep changing on the right side of the screen, but it is still hung up with the 1 minute completion message displayed. It has now been at least 15 minutes since that message first appeared. As it now stands, WinXP Pro Setup is interminably hung near the end of my 4th attempt to install WinXP Pro today.

How can I get WinXP Pro to install on this system properly?

Rest assured that I shall greatly appreciate your help.

R

Rich Barry

First thing I would do is remove one stick of ram if you can and disconnect everything except what you need for installing XP.
Usually it's a good idea to do a clean install of WinXP when you replace Motherboards. If you are overclocking the Processor
wait until after the Install.
WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM is an indication of a Corrupted Registry. What's the Wattage
and condition of your Power Supply.
Use Default or Optimal Settings in Bios. Disable any Antivirus protection there.

This computer has an ASUS P3V4X motherboard, Pentium III 600MHz processor, 512mb SDRAM, 1 80gb hard disk, 4 CD-ROMS and all the other usual equipment. Both the motherboard and processor are upgrades to my previous ASUS P3B-F motherboards & 540 MHz processor.

I have been through this installation 3 times today and I'm now on my fourth attempt. Here's what's happening:

This morning I installed a new motherboard and processor on one of my existing computers. After a few false starts, I finally got the computer to boot up, but that's where the trouble began. I don't know exactly what happened, however, a message appeared during Windows startup reporting some disk inconsistency on my C: drive. So, it ran CHKDSK or something similar. I didn't catch all of it because a distraction drew my attention away for a few moments. I did see, out of the corner of one eye, a whole slew of messages in white text whiz past the screen downward so fast that no one could hope to read them. I don't know what that did, but Windows would not boot up after that. Any attempt to do so ended with a BSOD.

I thought maybe I could get WinXP Pro Setup to Repair my existing Windows installation. However, nothing doing. Evidently whatever happened when all those messages flew down my screen, had messed my hard drive up so badly that Setup could not detect my existing Windows installation. Consequently, Setup did not give me the option to repair an existing Windows installation.

So, I decided to reinstall WinXP Pro from scratch. That is, I let Setup delete the primary (only) partition on my C: drive, then run a slow format before installing WindowsXP Pro.

Setup ran without a hitch until it completed the Finalizing Installation step and then rebooted the computer. When the initial motherboard boot process finished, the Boot from CD option appeared. I did not press any key to make it boot from the CD. Then the following messages appeared in white text on the black screen:

You can attempt to repair this by starting Windows Setup using the original CD-ROM.

I have no idea how to run the Repair Console, so I didn't even try the only option suggested.

Actually, I THOUGHT something odd must have happened during my first reinstallation attempt, so I ran Setup again. However, the same thing happened during the second attempt.

So, I disconnected that hard disk and installed a brand new hard drive and ran Setup on the new drive only to wind up encountering the very same error on my third attempt to install WINXP Pro.

I then began to wonder if the problem was being caused by some defect in the WinXP Pro Installation CD. It appeared to be ok, but I polished it a bit anyway, then ran Setup for the fourth time today; this time with the installation CD mounted in a different CD-ROM drive.

The fourth time, Setup ran the first 4 steps without a hitch. It started the Finalizing Installation step and progressed to the point where it displayed a message stating that it was Removing any temporary files used, and another message reporting "Setup will completer in approximately 1 minute." That was a full 10 minutes ago. The 5 tic mark array of progress bars keep flickering in the lower right corner of the screen as if WinXP Pro Setup is still doing something and the informational text display touting all the new features in WinXP Pro keep changing on the right side of the screen, but it is still hung up with the 1 minute completion message displayed. It has now been at least 15 minutes since that message first appeared. As it now stands, WinXP Pro Setup is interminably hung near the end of my 4th attempt to install WinXP Pro today.

A

\ AA Smith\

Hi, Rich!

Thanks for your feedback. The power supply is 250 watts.

On my last attempt to install WinXP Pro, Setup failed and issued a message stating that mismsg.dl (I think) did not install properly. The message went on to state that such problems may indicate some kind of problem with the installation CD.

I happen to have a spare installation CD, so I'm installing WinXP Pro from that. Maybe this exercise will shed some light on the problem.
--
With kindest regards,

Dick Smith
(e-mail address removed)
First thing I would do is remove one stick of ram if you can and disconnect everything except what you need for installing XP.
Usually it's a good idea to do a clean install of WinXP when you replace Motherboards. If you are overclocking the Processor
wait until after the Install.
WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM is an indication of a Corrupted Registry. What's the Wattage
and condition of your Power Supply.
Use Default or Optimal Settings in Bios. Disable any Antivirus protection there.

G

goodness gracious

did you see my other post to your previous post on your troubles with
installation?

here is a bit more for you, regarding this stuff

http://www.windowsreinstall.com/

try making one of these
http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb;en-us;310994&spid=1173&sid=global

this may also be useful
http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb;en-us;316434&spid=1173&sid=global

This seems to be what you have:

SYMPTOMS
When you try to start your Microsoft Windows XP-based computer, you may
receive an error message that is similar to the following error message:
The file C:\windows\system32\c_1252.nls is missing or corrupt
Back to the top Back to the top
RESOLUTION
To resolve this behavior, use the following methods in the order that they
appear.
Method 1: Check the Hard Disk for Errors
1. Insert the Windows XP CD, and then restart the computer. If you are
prompted, select any options that you must select to start Windows XP from
the CD.
2. When the text-based part of Setup begins, follow the instructions that
appear on the screen. To select the repair or the recover option, press R.
3. If you have a dual-start or multiple-start computer, select the
installation that you must access from the Recovery Console.
4. When prompted, type the Administrator password.
5. At the command prompt, type the following command, and then press the
ENTER key:
chkdsk /r
6. To exit the Recovery Console and restart the computer, type exit, and
then press the ENTER key.
If the behavior is not resolved, go to the next method.
Method 2: Replace Missing Files
1. Insert the Windows XP CD, and then restart the computer. If you are
prompted, select any options that you must select to start Windows XP from
the CD.
2. When the text-based part of Setup begins, follow the instructions that
appear on the screen. To select the repair or the recover option, press R.
3. If you have a dual-start or multiple-start computer, select the
installation that you must access from the Recovery Console.
4. When prompted, type the Administrator password.
5. At the command prompt, type the following commands ( press ENTER after
each command):
cd system32
ren c_1252.nls c_1252.old
expand drive:\i386\c_1252.nl_ c:\windows\system32
Where drive is the drive letter of the CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive.
6. To exit the Recovery Console and restart the computer, type exit, and
then press the ENTER key.
Note There may be additional files missing. Repeat this method to replace
any other missing files.
Method 3: Replace Missing Files Without Console
If you cannot start the recovery console, start the computer with a Windows
98 emergency disk.

Note This method only works on a partition that is formatted with FAT32 and
not the NTFS file system.

To start the computer with a Windows 98 emergency disk, follow these steps:
1. Insert the Windows 98 emergency disk, and then restart the computer.
2. When prompted, select to start with CD support.
3. Insert the Windows XP CD.
4. At the command prompt, type the following commands (press ENTER after
each command):
c:
cd windows\system32
ren c_1252.nls c_1252.old
extract drive:\i386\c_1252.nl_
Where drive is the drive letter of the CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive.

Note The Windows 98 emergency disk creates a RAM drive immediately after the
hard disk drive. As a result, the current CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive is one
letter later in the alphabet.
5. Remove the Windows 98 emergency disk and the Windows XP CD, and then
restart the computer.
Note There may be additional files missing. Repeat this method to replace
any other missing files.

see http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;830088 for more

have you tried to search the knowledgebase
TRY THIS LINK OF YOU TRY NO OTHE
http://support.microsoft.com/search...uery=corrupt+reinstall+setup&x=0&y=0&srch=sup

Good Luck!

Cheers

Quintin
MVP wannabe

A

AA Smith

Thanks, Quintin, for the sheer volume of feedback that you so graciously
provided. I've had it for today. I'm absolutely exhausted. I'll check all
of this out tomorrow.

I don't have a multiple operating system computer; I only have WinXP Pro in
one large partition.

I'm really beginning to suspect that something is either wrong with the new,
(actually used equipment purchased from a highly respected eBay seller,)
motherboard and CPU.. The motherboard is an ASUS P3V4X and the processor is
a Slot 1 600 MHz Pentium III. I have had so many totally different kinds of
problems with this new equipment today that I really don't know what to make
of it. The last time I tried to install today, (my 5th attempt) Setup
progressed very normally to the point where it only had 9 minutes to go,
then appeared to go into a never-ending loop reading something from the CD
and writing it on the hard drive. This went on for well over 15 minutes
(way longer that it would normally continue displaying the 9-minute message)
on my 512mb computer before I finally shut it off for the night.

I don't know if this new motherboard needs a higher wattage power supply or
not. I think it's currently running on a 250 Watt PS, though I have a spare
300 Watt PS, which I'll try tomorrow.

Life sure gets tedious in the computer world sometimes. :)

Thanks again, Quintin! I really appreciate your help.

R

Rich Barry

The Asus P3V4X goes back about five years. I had one. It worked great
and I passed it on to my son. It maybe that you
have a flaky motherboard and/or processor. Since you have two WinXP
CD's and tried them both. It's not the age
because I have XP running fine on my old BX Master Motherboard with
P3-700 overclocked to 921. Between Quintin
and myself you have a lot of things you can try. I don't think it's
your Power Supply. 250W should be fine.

Ask a Question