WinPE

Mark

My employer is considering using WinPE as part of a
deployment solution for WinXP. They also have PQ
Deploycenter. I'm looking for comments on WinPE, good &
bad. Is it better than DOS for image deployment? If so why
is it better? I'm also looking for detailed instructions
on how to setup WinPE, on a RIS server or on CD for
example. Have any of you used PE with Deploycenter? Any
info would be appreciated.
Thanks
Mark

Carey Frisch [MVP]

Microsoft Windows Preinstallation Environment (WinPE)
http://www.microsoft.com/licensing/programs/sa/support/winpe.asp

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect your PC!

"Mark" (e-mail address removed) wrote in message:

| My employer is considering using WinPE as part of a
| deployment solution for WinXP. They also have PQ
| Deploycenter. I'm looking for comments on WinPE, good &
| bad. Is it better than DOS for image deployment? If so why
| is it better? I'm also looking for detailed instructions
| on how to setup WinPE, on a RIS server or on CD for
| example. Have any of you used PE with Deploycenter? Any
| info would be appreciated.
| Thanks
| Mark

Mark

Thanks for the reply Carey.
I've already checked out that url.
They only talk about Software Assurance and marketing
fluff. I'm looking for detailed implementation
instructions and user comments.
Thanks,
Mark

Carey Frisch [MVP]

How to Use Sysprep: An Introduction
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/using/itpro/deploying/introduction.asp

How to Use Sysprep with Windows Product Activation or Volume License Media to Deploy Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;299840&Product=winxp

Description of the Windows XP Corporate Deployment Tools and Documentation
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;321880&Product=winxp

How to Use Sysprep with Windows Product Activation or Volume License Media to Deploy Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;299840&Product=winxp

How to Use Sysprep for Auditing Installations
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/using/itpro/deploying/auditing.asp

Automating Windows XP Installations
http://www.labmice.net/WindowsXP/Install/unattend.htm

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect your PC!

| Thanks for the reply Carey.
| I've already checked out that url.
| They only talk about Software Assurance and marketing
| fluff. I'm looking for detailed implementation
| instructions and user comments.
| Thanks,
| Mark

Mike Kolitz

I've toyed with WinPE from time to time for deployment scenerios.
As far as being better than DOS, it really depends on what you're looking
for - it has some definite pros and cons.

Pros
-------
Large base of hardware supported by default
"easily" add drivers for network cards
True 32-bit environment
Ability to add support for Windows Scripting Host scripts and ADO objects.
Access to NTFS partitions.

Cons
-------
"easily" add drivers for network cards - it's not always as easy is it
seems.
Imaging actually seems 2x slower when going through WinPE than DOS.
Not terribly easy to get a hold of.

Overall, I like WinPE more, but it's still easier to do some things in DOS,
unfortunately.

mikey k
Mike Kolitz MCSE 2000
MS-MVP - Windows Setup and Deployment

Thanks for the reply Mike.
I read a lot of marketing fluff stating that PE is faster,
better than DOS, but you're the first "real" person to
give an objective opinion on it.
Thanks again.

Ian

All,

There is an add on product that works with winpe that allows for
images to deploy faster in 32 bit mode, etc in WinPE. The product is
called the CCtoolkit and it is made by Powerquest (Symantec). The
toolkit is about $2 per license more if you already own deploycenter.
You can also get a GUI from thier support site that works with the
cctoolkit.

Good luck.

Ian