Windows XP Users Gone!

Rob

I have worked on this computer for "Esther" before. For some reason, she had WinXP Home installed in the c:\winnt directory (not sure if she upgraded from Win2000). Well she had corrupt registry problems and I reinstalled WinXP Home for her. I didn't want to overwrite her Outlook Express and some other files buried within the c:\winnt directory, so I created a fresh install in c:\windows.

That was a few months ago. I visit her today and when WinXP boots up (all current patches and fixes applied), she is given the screen to select a user. However, there are no user pictures/accounts listed. The only accounts on the machine were administrator and owner. I hit CTRL-ALT-DEL to get the text logon screen, but nothing works. Her name, owner, administrator - none work. I own WinKey (http://www.lostpassword.com/windows-xp-2000-nt.htm), so I used that to manually reset the password to null. But when I reboot, that doesn't work either.

This Gateway machine won't let me get into Safe Mode with F8 on boot up, so I'm stumped. How can I get into the machine to either get into her main user profile or to create a new user profile?

Many thanks,
Rob

Use the recovery console,type:HELP For a list of all cmds,some services
can be started/stopped thru the console....

Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

Hello Rob,
What happens when you attempt to logon to the machine?
Do you get an error message?
Does the machine reboot?
Are you logged off the machine?
Are you logging on but just not getting the profile information?
Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

<From: "Rob" <[email protected]>
<Subject: Re: Windows XP Users Gone!
<Date: Tue, 6 Jun 2006 08:10:49 -0400
<Newsgroups:
microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup
_deployment
<
<What services am I to look for in the Recovery Console?
<
<-ROB
<
<<> Use the recovery console,type:HELP For a list of all cmds,some services
<> can be started/stopped thru the console....
<>
<> "Rob" wrote:
<>
<>> I have worked on this computer for "Esther" before. For some reason,
she
<>> had WinXP Home installed in the c:\winnt directory (not sure if she
<>> upgraded from Win2000). Well she had corrupt registry problems and I
<>> reinstalled WinXP Home for her. I didn't want to overwrite her Outlook
<>> Express and some other files buried within the c:\winnt directory, so I
<>> created a fresh install in c:\windows.
<>>
[...]

Well, the machine is powered off. I power it on. I get the WinXP screen
with the Knight Rider flashing bars at the bottom. Then I get the screen to
select a user account graphical screen (or I can click the "Turn Off
Computer" text in the bottom left of the screen). There are, however, NO
users listed on the right hand side of the screen. I can move the mouse
around, but there's nothing there. I can TAB around, but there's nothing
there. This is NOT Safe Mode, so it's not like the icons are there but I
can't see them. They're just plain NOT there. I can CTRL-ALT-DEL and get
the logon dialog box where I can enter a name and a password manually, but I
have entered "Administrator", "owner", and the owner's name which came
prepopulated in the box, but none of them work.

I obviously am stuck at this point, so I can't get further into the desktop,
run task menu or anything like that.

Any suggestions?

-Rob

"Darrell Gorter[MSFT]" said:
Hello Rob,
What happens when you attempt to logon to the machine?
Do you get an error message?
Does the machine reboot?
Are you logged off the machine?
Are you logging on but just not getting the profile information?
Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

<From: "Rob" <[email protected]>
<Date: Tue, 6 Jun 2006 08:10:49 -0400
<Newsgroups:
microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup
_deployment
<
<What services am I to look for in the Recovery Console?
<
<-ROB
<
<<> Use the recovery console,type:HELP For a list of all cmds,some
services
<> can be started/stopped thru the console....
<>
<> "Rob" wrote:
<>
[...]

Hi Rob,

I have the same problem I even got the same window when I tried to put it
into safe mode. I reloaded windows xp home and two months later the same
thing is happening. Any word on what is going on and how to fix it?