Windows XP Pro Upgrade

Juan Romero

I am trying to upgrade my system from Windows XP Home Edition to Windows XP
Professional. After system check, the installer comes up with the following
Error:
"The currently installed driver for the NVIDIA NForce device is not
compatible with this version of Microsoft Windows. Setup will not be able to
complete.
To download a new NVIDIA NForce driver, visit NVIDIA's Web site. Web
addresses can change, so you might be unable to connect to this Web site.
For a list of devices supported by this version of Windows, see the list of
compatible hardware on the Microsoft Web site."

I have gone to all the freaking websites and downloaded all NEW DRIVERS WITH
XP SUPPORT for my video card and everything. It just wont work. It keeps
giving me the same error.

Please help someone. I need to complete a time sensitive project and [ONCE
AGAIN] I am stuck with Microsoft Installations.

Thanks in advance.

Carey Frisch [MVP]

The problem seems to be that the drivers from the NVIDIA web site don't
actually get updated when the driver setup is run. Update the drivers manually,
and you'll be able to run the XP Pro upgrade.

Using Device Manager, and setting the "show hidden devices" option from the
view menu, you can see the NVIDIA nForce AGP Bus Filter under
"Non-Plug and Play drivers". The original version that was on my PC
was 4.12.01.0217. The driver file is C:\Windows\System32\drivers\nv_agp.sys.

Downloading and installing the latest Platform/nForce Drivers Unified Driver Package
for Windows XP from the NVIDIA web site (www.nvidia.com), places the new driver
in the C:\nvidia\nforceWinXP\2.00\GART directory, but doesn't update it in the Windows
System32 drivers directory. By manually copying the driver from the Nvidia directory,
you'll get past the compatibility problem. The version of the driver that works is 4.12.01.0278.

SOLVED THE PROBLEM THIS WAY:

Go to 'Windows Update'. After running the program, click 'Windows Catalog'
(lower left hand side). Click on the appropriate categories, IE: XP, Drivers, NVIDIA
(you get the point) and download the 'certified' driver.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP