Windows XP Local User Profile Migration to Domain User

Mike B

Scenario:
I have several machines that are currently running in workgroup mode or an
existing domain to which I do not have access to. I have access to the local
administrator password on each machine. I need to bring these machines into
a new SBS2003 Domain. In doing so each user will be created a new local
profile based on their new logon.

I am having trouble finding the right tool(s) that will allow me to migrate
their old profile settings from the profile located on their XP Pro
Workstation, to their new logon profile. I have looked at ADMT and it does
not look right. USMT looks right but it looks like its used to migrate pre
XP workstations to XP.

Can anyone help me figure out what tool and possible method to bring over
the users info?

Dave Patrick

You can use the Copy To function to mirror the profile. Logon at least once
after joining the domain. Then while logged on as another user (with
administrative rights) Control Panel|System|User Profiles, select your
userprofile, Copy To, Browse to
%systemdrive%\Documents and Settings\userprofile.domainname
Change "Permitted to use:" to "userprofile.domainname" OK.

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

:
| Scenario:
| I have several machines that are currently running in workgroup mode or an
| existing domain to which I do not have access to. I have access to the
local
| administrator password on each machine. I need to bring these machines
into
| a new SBS2003 Domain. In doing so each user will be created a new local
| profile based on their new logon.
|
| I am having trouble finding the right tool(s) that will allow me to
migrate
| their old profile settings from the profile located on their XP Pro
| Workstation, to their new logon profile. I have looked at ADMT and it does
| not look right. USMT looks right but it looks like its used to migrate pre
| XP workstations to XP.
|
| Can anyone help me figure out what tool and possible method to bring over
| the users info?
|
| --
| Regards
| Mike

Torgeir Bakken \(MVP\)

Mike said:
Scenario:
I have several machines that are currently running in workgroup mode or an
existing domain to which I do not have access to. I have access to the local
administrator password on each machine. I need to bring these machines into
a new SBS2003 Domain. In doing so each user will be created a new local
profile based on their new logon.

I am having trouble finding the right tool(s) that will allow me to migrate
their old profile settings from the profile located on their XP Pro
Workstation, to their new logon profile. I have looked at ADMT and it does
not look right. USMT looks right but it looks like its used to migrate pre
XP workstations to XP.

Can anyone help me figure out what tool and possible method to bring over
the users info?
Hi

We solve this by (in the registry) changing the profile path for
the new user to point to the old user's profile folder (the user
needs to log on at least once first).

From: Bruce Sanderson ([email protected])
Subject: Re: Moving a W2K PC between domains
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.general
Date: 2002-08-05 17:32:49 PST
http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=uz48D$NPCHA.612@tkmsftngp08

If the user is not a local admin, you might need to to something on the
permission side. Use tip 4631 and 2240 in the 'Tips & Tricks' at
http://www.jsiinc.com as a guide.

More here as well:

Subject: Re: Lost profile when domain name changes
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory
http://groups.google.com/groups?th=262e40881c856d53

HOW TO: Restore a User Profile in Windows 2000
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;en-us;314045