From: "Nicholas" <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: Can hotfix installation folders be safely deleted?
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2003 07:23:44 -0500
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsupdate

<quote>
Hotfixes" are the updates you installed from the Windows Update
website. Do not be tempted to remove them or you will uninstall
the actual updates.

If you wish to safely remove the "uninstall files" for the
Hotfixes (i.e. $NtUninstallQxxxxxx$ files shown in Windows Explorer)
and cleanup your Add/Remove Programs list, visit MS-MVP Doug Knox's
excellent website for instructions.

Remove Hotfix Backup files and the Add/Remove Programs Registry entries
http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/xp_hotfix_backup.htm

Note: Doug's program only removes the uninstall files and Hotfix
entries in the Add/Remove Programs listing. It does not remove the
actual updates.

</quote>

purplehaz

They are the unistall programs for the updates you installed from the
windows update website. Yes you need them. If you want to keep them
installed and remove the unistall program, then delete the hotfixes from the
windows folder in explorer, and then remove them from the add/remove applet.

Peter GL

Nicholas, thanks for the information. I updated from the
<Automatic Updates> option that pops up all the time on my
lower toolbar. I am just concerned if I did the right
thing to update, and I wanted to be sure that these
updates are really from Microsoft. These 31 Windows XP
Hotfix programs in my Add/Remove Programs window look so
strange and suspicious to me.

Thanks again for your help.

Peter GL

Alex Nichol

Peter said:
After updating my PC with windowsupdate I have 31 Windows
XP Hotfix programs in my Add/Remove Programs window. Who
can tell me what these are and if I really need them

Those are there so you could *uninstall* the Windows Update patches.
Each corresponds to a folder of files needed for the purpose -
Windows\$NTUninstallQnnnnnn$ for the fix described at
http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb;en-us;nnnnnn

If you decide you will not want to uninstall a fix (and if all is
running smoothly you probably won't) then delete the folder. If you
then try in Add/remove, to Remove that one, it will fail, and you will
be offered the option of removing the entry there