Windows XP Home Networking - HELP!!!

G

Hi all,

I recently upgraded my Compaq Evo N160 notebook from Windows 98 to Windows XP Home Edition. I have an internet connection set up with the internal 56k modem that I don't want to share and all I want to network the notebook via ethernet with other machines via an ethernet hub. I have run the Network Setup Wizard and given the computer a name and such, but whenever I try to select "View workgroup computers" in My Network Places, I keep getting the message:

"Mshome is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions. The list of servers for this workgroup is not currently available"

I don't know what to do now - I've tried everything I can think of! Can't understand for one of the most widely used operating systems setting up a simple network is so impossible!!!

Any help appreciated!

G

Have you made sure that the workgroup name on all of the other computers is "Mshome" and you have set folders on them to share? Make sure you have file and pronter sharing enabled on all of the computers.

It might help to know which versions of windows the other machines have.

Ask a Question