Windows XP drive mapping

Srivatsan

Hello all,

The problem we are seeing with the disappearing drive
connections in XP explorer

Pls see :

us;810087&Product=winxp

CAUSE
This problem may occur if the following conditions are
true:
You connect to your network by using a VPN connection
over a dial-up connection to the Internet.
You map a drive letter to a shared folder on the network.
The shared folder contains files or folders (or both)
that are configured for offline use.

I have a user with XP , no VPN, no offline files and the
same drive mapping issues.......

What happens:
- Windows explorer does not show the drive mappings (or
some but not all)
- if you look in Tools > Map network drive: it shows them
all !!
- when you choose H:\, again type the path it even gives
the notification that H is already connected (but not
shown in Windows explorer!)
- Any office application (Word, excel, etc), when go to
File > open > look in: all drives are visible)
- When opening a CMD prompt all drives can be accessed.

Any clue pls.

Best Regards,
Srivats

Bill Peele [MS]

--------------------
From: "Srivatsan" <[email protected]>
Subject: Windows XP drive mapping
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2004 02:22:19 -0800
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.windows_update

[...]

---

Srivats,

Have you seen the following article?

812933 - Mapped Drives Do Not Appear to Connect or Disconnect in Windows Explorer
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[LN];812933

Bill Peele
Microsoft Enterprise Support

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Use of included script samples are subject to the
terms specified at http://www.microsoft.com/info/cpyright.htm

Note: For the benefit of the community-at-large, all responses to this message are best directed to the newsgroup/thread
from which they originated.