Windows XP command.com

Reaction score
This is my first post, so I hope I'm posting in the right section for this...

I have quite significant numbers of Windows XP Professional PC's joined to a domain where I work. Basically my issue is I need to disable command.com. cmd.exe has already been disabled, however users can still create a batch file with command.com, or a shortcut to command.com and voila, they have command prompt, albeit a slightly older(or so it would seem) version.

I have been looking around, and the only suggestion I can find for disabling command.com is to change the file permissions for the user group in question so they can't read&execute the file. This is fine, I have tested it and it works well. However, I figure it will be awfully tedious to visit each machine just to change the permissions of command.com. So, are there any other ways command.com can be disabled, e.g. via group policy, or should I resign myself to having to visit each machine separately?

Ask a Question