Windows XP 64 Bit and AMD Athlon 64 3200+

G

Hello,

I just purchased an computer with an AMD Athlon 64 3200+ processor. How can I get XP 64 bit for this system? It currently just has windows XP home, but I would like to have a 64 bit OS on this system. The only information that I can find says that only Intel Itanium processor computers come with XP 64.

Thanks

I

Ian Smythe

Scott said:
Hello,

I just purchased an computer with an AMD Athlon 64 3200+ processor. How can I get XP 64 bit for this system? It currently just has windows XP home, but I would like to have a 64 bit OS on this system. The only information that I can find says that only Intel Itanium processor computers come with XP 64.

Thanks

In a few more months Microsoft is SUPPOSED to come out with XP64 for
AMD processors. Hang in there! :)

C

Carey Frisch [MVP]

The 64-bit version of Windows XP for AMD64 CPUs is still
under development. It should be released later in the year.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP
Windows XP - Shell/User

Be Smart! Protect your PC!
http://www.microsoft.com/security/protect/

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

| Hello,
|
| I just purchased an computer with an AMD Athlon 64 3200+ processor. How can I get XP 64 bit for this system?
It currently just has windows XP home, but I would like to have a 64 bit OS on this system. The only
information that I can find says that only Intel Itanium processor computers come with XP 64.
|
| Thanks

A

Alex Nichol

Scott said:

The only Windows 64 bit version yet released is for Intel Opterons,
which use a different code set from AMD. Currently you can use 32 bit
XP: a version for the AMD 64 bit code set is in Beta test and you should
not have to wait too long

K

Ken Blake, MVP

In
Alex Nichol said:
The only Windows 64 bit version yet released is for Intel
Opterons,

Typo, I assume. The Opteron is an AMD chip. You mean "Itanium."

A

Alex Nichol

Opterons,

Typo, I assume. The Opteron is an AMD chip. You mean "Itanium."

oops - yes.

To amplify - AMD have two series - Opterons that are purely 64 bit,
mode, needing a subsystem to run 32 bit code, rather as a Pentium can
run 16 bit code as 'Virtual 86', and the 64 bit 3200+ and 64 bit FX that
will boot in 32 bit mode: those are the ones just coming out, with XP
installed.

G

----- Alex Nichol wrote: ----

To amplify - AMD have two series - Opterons that are purely 64 bit
mode, needing a subsystem to run 32 bit code, rather as a Pentium ca
run 16 bit code as 'Virtual 86', and the 64 bit 3200+ and 64 bit FX tha
will boot in 32 bit mode: those are the ones just coming out, with X
installed

--
Alex Nichol MS MVP (Windows Technologies
Bournemouth, U.K. (e-mail address removed)8E8L.org (remove the D8 bit

What are you talking about? I've got a dual opteron, and it runs win2k3 server extended in 64 bit mode, and runs 32 bit applications just fine. It's also set up to boot to win2k (which is 32 bit only) and 2 different versions of linux (gentoo and suse 9 64bit)
I missed out on beta testing winxp 64bit, but I've tested everything else I can get my grubby little hands on as it has become available. I've had this box for about 3 months now and everything pretty much runs flawlessly on it. The opteron cpu's are NOT limited to just running 64 bit code. It will run 64 bit natively, 32 bit on a 64 bit OS and 32 bit code natively. Unfortunately, there are not enough 64 bit drivers out there. I've had some small problems with sound in 64 bit mode, as well as my ATI 9600 pro AIW (2k3 server doesn't have fully supported drivers for my hardware

Where you came up with the idea that Opterons only run 64 bit code I have no idea, but you are misinformed.

G

The Windows XP version for 64-bit Extended systems [WS2003 codebase] has been in alpha since December 2002, at which point build 1069 was sent to some manufacturers. Since then, a few other versions (up to 1137, I believe) have been released, and also downloadable for MSDN subscribers. Note that Windows Server 2003 beta for 64-bit Extended systems has recently been made available to the public, either by download or you can get the disc; the build is 1069, with 09/06/03 dates (whereas the pre-release WS2003 beta is currently build 1137). Some find they could run better under 1069 than 1137. Target CPUs are Athlon 64, Athlon FX and Opteron running in long mode, and the WOW64 engine will emulate some WIN32 applications. Of course, you can install 32-bit OS with these CPUs, but you'll loose the benefit of memory linearity beyond 3.5GB. The beauty of 64-bit is to accommodate more memory, enabling to run decent RAM Disks, or a separate space to a leaky WIN32 application, etc...
Note that the 4GB DIMMS from Crucial currently cost $6999.99, meaning up to $56,000 of memory for a fully populated (32GB) dual Opteron board (instead of about $2000 for 8GB), and $112,000 for a quad Opteron board (64GB)..
64-bit drivers are slowly coming out, but at least you can multi-boot with some other OS if you need anything exotic..
No one can accuse MS of monopoly as far as 64-bit extended systems
Good luck,
Chri

Ask a Question