"windows was unable to save all the data" external USB 2.0 error

rarewolf

I have an external USB 2.0 drive (200Gb) that I use for sharing my
music library between home and office. I originally formatted the
drive and installed a single partition using the default Windows 2000
options. All went well, including copying ~140Gb to the drive (copying
the 'library' directory). Now, 2 weeks later, I tried to synchronize
new data in my home library with the library on the external drive and
received the "Windows was unable to save all the data ..." error
message, and my USB drive disappeared from the list of devices. I
don't know if I'm getting the error message because my USB drive is
disconnecting, or if it is disconnecting as a result of the write
error.

I have searched for the error, and found many similar problems, and not
limited to Win2000. However, the possible remedy appears to be as
numerous as the number of possible causes. I believe I need help with
troubleshooting and providing those knowledgable with more information.

Home system: ASUS P4PE and Windows 2000 (sp4)
Office system: Dell 600M laptop and Windows XP Pro (sp2)

The Office computer may occasionally write to the drive when it updates
a MP3 tag, but not big writes.

The home computer may now succeed with writing small amounts or single
files, but the error happens when trying to write big (usually creating
the directory, but not writing several large MP3 files). When the error
happens, it generally refers to "Volume3", sometimes $Mft", or
"$Mftmirr", or the file itself (i.e., several message will result).
The problem will also generally bring up the error message which tells
me to disconnect USB components properly (i.e., not to simply
disconnect them).

Somewhat confident I'd be able to redo what I did in the beginning, I
reformatted quick and removed the partition ... and this time
partitioned "extended" with a single "logical" drive. However, this
has not helped.

I cannot find anything specific to this problem in the Windows 2000
knowledgebase, and am fearful that similar articles in the XP KB do not
apply.

Please advise ...

TIA :blush:)

shAf

"rarewolf" wrote in message
I have an external USB 2.0 drive [...] and
received the "Windows was unable to save all the data ..." error
message, and my USB drive disappeared from the list of devices. I
don't know if I'm getting the error message because my USB drive is
disconnecting, or if it is disconnecting as a result of the write
error.

Me again ... I have more information:

Whether hardware or software, the USB drive seems to behave in all
other respects. E.G, it took several hours, but a complete CHKDSK
(before booting to Windows) indicated nothing wrong.

Other threads have asked that the "write cache" be disabled (it
is), or that USB power managment be disabled (it is).

I'd suspect the USB enclosure, except that it worked flawlessly
for the original write, and flawlessly as a shared drive. I
wonder if I didn't format or partition wrongly for a drive to be
shared between 2 different OS, Win2000 and WinXP(?) Someone else
suggested, because it worked for him, to partition extended and
logical, but it didn't work for me (I originally partitioned as
'primary'). I have resigned myself to again re-formatting (not
quick) ... how should I create its partitions for further testing?

TIA :blush:)

shAf

I have an external USB 2.0 drive [...] and
received the "Windows was unable to save all the data ..."
error message, and my USB drive disappeared from the
list of devices. ...

Problem resolved! It turns out to be a bad cable ... or leastwise
a cable not good enough for "high speed USB". I wouldn't have
thought ... the "bad" cable had been working properly with a
printer, but I brought home another after the drive worked
properly with my ofc computer. It was specifically labeled "high
speed USB".

cheerios :blush:)

shAf

in message
Problem resolved! It turns out to be a bad cable ...

I spoke too soon. I still believe it's the cable because I am
having more success in copying 150Gb of files, but it has failed
the same way twice, and I will likely get all copied in 3
sessions. I believe there may also be an issue of heat ...
because if I try again immediately, it will fail almost
immediately.

BTW ... I cannot stress enough the need in a situation like this
for having sychronization software ... e.g., "vice versa", or
"free commander".

cheerios :blush:)