Windows Vista

Tyro

I find that the people posting here have not explored Windows Vista. It is a
better OS than
Windows XP. Windows 7 may be even better. I suggest that before you moan,
groan and
complain that you thoroughly explore Windows Vista before you issue
judgmental posts.

Earle Horton

Vista is like a peanut butter sandwich with Amazon fire ants in it.

Cheers,

Earle

Homer Schwartz

Earle Horton said:
Vista is like a peanut butter sandwich with Amazon fire ants in it.

Cheers,

Earle
I thought Vista is like a footlong sub sandwich with chips and a drink.

Cheers,

Homer

ray

I find that the people posting here have not explored Windows Vista. It
is a better OS than
Windows XP. Windows 7 may be even better. I suggest that before you
moan, groan and
complain that you thoroughly explore Windows Vista before you issue
judgmental posts.

Lots of people don't have time to "explore Windows Vista" - they have
work to be done.

Homer Schwartz

ray said:
Lots of people don't have time to "explore Windows Vista" - they have
work to be done.

And that is why they just get the work done. On the other hand, if they
install something crippled like Ubuntu, they will spend countless hours
trying to figure out cryptic line commands, which inferior Open Source
program to download and possibly use.

In the end, they will ditch Ubuntu and go back to a Windows solution so they
can get some real work done.

Alias

Homer said:
And that is why they just get the work done. On the other hand, if they
install something crippled like Ubuntu, they will spend countless hours
trying to figure out cryptic line commands, which inferior Open Source
program to download and possibly use.

The only command line I've used was to check the MD5Sum on a downloaded
..iso.
In the end, they will ditch Ubuntu and go back to a Windows solution so they
can get some real work done.

Translation: you're too stupid to use Ubuntu and should stick with Windows.

What you can do with Ubuntu:

Email
Surf the web
Burn CDs.
Rip CDs.
Listen to music.
Watch vidoes/DVDs.
Scan and print.
Spreadsheets.
Presentations
Newsgroups.
HTML editing.
Games like Chess, Tetris, all kinds of solitaire, etc.
Make videos.
Download photos from a camera and organize them.
Translations.
Use a dictionary
Learn how to touch type.
Edit images.
Send and receive a fax.
Take screenshots.
Create .PDF files.
Create and use a data base.
Instant messaging with over 10 different programs in one including
Windows Live Messenger.
IRC.
Bluetooth.

and much more!

What you can't do with Ubuntu:

Worry about:
WPA and WGA raising their ugly heads,
DRM,
Viruses,
Root kits,
Spyware,
and
Malware.

Alias

Homer Schwartz

Alias said:
The only command line I've used was to check the MD5Sum on a downloaded
.iso.

Translation: you're too stupid to use Ubuntu and should stick with
Windows.

Oops. Installed Ubuntu. No problems with the install. Once Ubuntu was up
and running, then the problems started. No real software to do real work.
To do real work you need a real OS. Windows comes to mind.

If you are a geek, Ubuntu is perfect because you will not be doing any real
work anyway. If you want proof: Look at Alias - He uses Ubuntu and all he
does is post to this group. He never does real work. Case closed.

Alias

Homer said:
Oops. Installed Ubuntu. No problems with the install. Once Ubuntu was up
and running, then the problems started

Yeah, your stupidity and prejudice kicked in.
No real software to do real work.
Liar.

To do real work you need a real OS. Windows comes to mind.

If you like viruses and malware, Windows is perfect.
If you are a geek, Ubuntu is perfect because you will not be doing any real
work anyway. If you want proof: Look at Alias - He uses Ubuntu and all he
does is post to this group. He never does real work. Case closed.

Case: you're a nymshifting liar.

Alias

Paddy Landau

And that is why they just get the work done. On the other hand, if they
install something crippled like Ubuntu, they will spend countless hours
trying to figure out cryptic line commands, which inferior Open Source
program to download and possibly use.

In the end, they will ditch Ubuntu and go back to a Windows solution so they
can get some real work done.

Speak for yourself. I spent so much time maintaining Windows that
I looked for an alternative (Mac and Ubuntu came to mind).

When I upgraded to Ubuntu, I had a two-week learning curve (just
as I might had with Windows or Mac), but thereafter it has just
worked. I can spend time working instead of waiting for Vista to
respond or rebooting after crashes.

But that's only my experience...

As for "inferior" Open Source, well, that's a matter of opinion,
isn't it? I know how much more productive both my wife and I are
in OpenOffice than in the new MS Word (even though I was a wiz at
the previous version), but there are others who will disagree
with me, and that's fine.

The thing is, people who like Windows like Windows; people who
like Ubuntu like Ubuntu; and people who like Mac like Mac. And
that's perfectly OK. It's not my job (or yours or Alias's) to
persuade people otherwise.

If someone has a problem with Windows, I'm happy to help (if I
have the answer), even though I personally prefer Ubuntu. After
all, there are couple things that Windows can do that Ubuntu
can't (well, that's what people tell me, anyway).

And think about it... Windows has been a great motivation for
both Mac and Ubuntu to improve, hasn't it? And vice-versa...

I hope that all three continue successfully, far into the future.

ray

And that is why they just get the work done. On the other hand, if they
install something crippled like Ubuntu, they will spend countless hours
trying to figure out cryptic line commands, which inferior Open Source
program to download and possibly use.

Interesting concept. I've installed Ubuntu and Debian on computers for my
wife. She does not use cryptic line commands - she does not even know how
to open a terminal window - she simply uses the compters.
In the end, they will ditch Ubuntu and go back to a Windows solution so
they can get some real work done.

Gee, I know several good counterexamples to that one. We've been using
Linux exclusively at home for over five years now. And we have 13 Linux
computers serving as public access internet computers at the local
library - been doing that for about three years no - to date, not a
single comlaint and they are busy nearly all the time.

BTW - I did real work on Linux computers before I retired - digital
signal processing of coherant radar signals at a major DOD test facility.

Spanky deMonkey, ESQ

Alias said:
Yeah, your stupidity and prejudice kicked in.

Look who is stupid. You are trying to shove Ubuntu down everyones throats
in the VISTA group. What an idiot.

Spanky deMonkey, ESQ

Alias said:
The only command line I've used was to check the MD5Sum on a downloaded
.iso.

Translation: you're too stupid to use Ubuntu and should stick with
Windows.
Translation: Ubuntu is FREE and NOBODY wants it. Imagine, Linux has been
around for years, and Open Sorce Office has been around for years. Why are
most businesses using Microsoft products? They could save thousands of
dollars (Euros) to migrate to Open Source but they DON'T.

Businesses and home users would rather pay good money for Microsoft products
than use FREE Linux proucts. Linux products are on less than ONE PERCENT of
the desktop after all these years.

There has to be a reason and YOU just don't get it. You never will. Keep
trying to convert people but you are just blowing hot air. As usual.