Windows Vista Upgrade Version to be like Past Update CDs?

Will the upgrade CD allow for a full fresh installation as long as you have a
Windows XP disk? (Correct me if I'm wrong here) I have heard that the upgrade
process will ONLY work for Windows XP. But the question comes up (to me at
least), will you be able to pop in a Windows XP or Windows 2000 disk when you
boot from the Vista disk and prompt the installer and be able to do a fresh
install of OS like the XP upgrade currently is? Much appreciated if anyone
has an answer. I would imagine that just about nobody has gotten their hands
on an upgrade version, so I'd mostly would like to hear if any word has been
put out about this from any Microsoft employees.

Jupiter Jones [MVP]

Jason;
I have not heard anything official about the upgrades.
However I expect something like Windows XP.
My guess would be Windows XP and possible Windows ME will qualify for
upgrade as you suggest.

When Windows XP came out, Windows 95 was not listed on the package as
upgradeable to Windows XP, which is true.
However the box did not state that Windows 95 would work as qualifying media
when performing a Clean Installation of Windows XP using a Windows XP
Upgrade CD.
Many discovered in the first few days this worked very well.

I expect similar possibilities with Windows Vista.

Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

Hello Jason,
You will have to have the underlying OS installed and setup started from
with-in it. You will not be able to just insert a cd to meet the
compliance check.
Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

<From: =?Utf-8?B?SmFzb24gQ2FtYnJl?= <Jason (e-mail address removed)>
<Subject: Windows Vista Upgrade Version to be like Past Update CDs?
<Date: Wed, 8 Nov 2006 20:36:01 -0800
<Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
<
[...]

Scott Tyler

"Darrell Gorter[MSFT]" said:
Hello Jason,
You will have to have the underlying OS installed and setup started from
with-in it. You will not be able to just insert a cd to meet the
compliance check.
Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

Hi Darrell,

Once Vista Upgrade setup has been started from within the prior OS and
upgrade eligibility established, will users have a choice between upgrading
the prior OS or a clean install of Vista, or will upgrading the prior OS be
the only option?

Thanks,

Scott Tyler
agent_scotty-at-hotmail-dot-com

Nero

You'd have a hard time bein able to clean install if you run the install
from within windows.
Only way to clean install is at boot up from the Vista DVD.
Why do people keep callin it a CD when it comes on a DVD??.

Scott Tyler said:
"Darrell Gorter[MSFT]" said:
Hello Jason,
You will have to have the underlying OS installed and setup started from
with-in it. You will not be able to just insert a cd to meet the
compliance check.
Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

Hi Darrell,

Once Vista Upgrade setup has been started from within the prior OS and
upgrade eligibility established, will users have a choice between
upgrading the prior OS or a clean install of Vista, or will upgrading the
prior OS be the only option?

Thanks,

Scott Tyler
agent_scotty-at-hotmail-dot-com

Michael D

You can do a clean install from within Xp to a different partition, and
according to this link you MUST upgrade with a clean install from:
XP Pro -> Vista Basis or Premium
Media Center -> Visat Basic or Business
XP Pro 64 -> any Vista
Win 2000 -> any Vista
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvista/getready/upgradeinfo.mspx

Scott Tyler said:
"Darrell Gorter[MSFT]" said:
Hello Jason,
You will have to have the underlying OS installed and setup started from
with-in it. You will not be able to just insert a cd to meet the
compliance check.
Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

Hi Darrell,

Once Vista Upgrade setup has been started from within the prior OS and
upgrade eligibility established, will users have a choice between
upgrading the prior OS or a clean install of Vista, or will upgrading the
prior OS be the only option?

Thanks,

Scott Tyler
agent_scotty-at-hotmail-dot-com

Ben Salisbury

Thanks for your reply Darrell
your posts are always helpful.
This one however raises a question,

Customer (A) buys an upgrade version (and has a legal copy of XP already
installed)
According to your response, they must run the installer from within XP to
pass the compliance check.
which shouldn't cause any real problems...

But what if their HD crashes? Is the OP now required to re-install XP on the
new hard drive to be able to install the Vista Upgrade?

Thanks for you your input

-Ben

Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

Hello Scott,
You will be able to choose to clean install or upgrade.
Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

<From: "Scott Tyler" <agent_scotty-at-hotmail-dot-com>
<Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2006 01:09:37 -0500
<Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
<
<""Darrell Gorter[MSFT]"" <Darrellg-at-online-dot-microsoft-dot-com> wrote
in
<message <> Hello Jason,
<> You will have to have the underlying OS installed and setup started from
<> with-in it. You will not be able to just insert a cd to meet the
<> compliance check.
<> Thanks,
<> Darrell Gorter[MSFT]
<>
<
<
<Hi Darrell,
<
<Once Vista Upgrade setup has been started from within the prior OS and
<upgrade eligibility established, will users have a choice between
upgrading
<the prior OS or a clean install of Vista, or will upgrading the prior OS
be
<the only option?
<
<Thanks,
<
<Scott Tyler
<agent_scotty-at-hotmail-dot-com
<
<
<

Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

Hello ben,
Yes they will have to reinstall Windows XP to be able to use the Windows
Vista Upgrade package.
Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

<From: "Ben Salisbury" <[email protected]>
<Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2006 08:00:55 -0800
<Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
<
[...]
<> This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
rights
<> --------------------
[...]
<> <
<>
<
<
<

Ben Salisbury

I just had a feeling you were going to say that.
grumble,grumble,grumble

But definitely, thank you for taking your spare time and responding to
questions like these on the newsgroup!
it is very appreciated

-Ben

"Darrell Gorter[MSFT]" said:
Hello ben,
Yes they will have to reinstall Windows XP to be able to use the Windows
Vista Upgrade package.
Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

<From: "Ben Salisbury" <[email protected]>