Windows Update Error number: 0x80072EE2 - Windows Update has encountered an error and cannot displ

Mart

Hi

Anyone have an idea on how to solve this?, I have allowed all the windows
site's in mypopup killer.I have XP professional running service pack 1 build
2600.

Many Thanks

Mart

Torgeir Bakken \(MVP\)

Mart said:
Anyone have an idea on how to solve this?, I have allowed
all the windows site's in mypopup killer.I have XP professional
running service pack 1 build 2600.

Many Thanks
Hi

Fyi, microsoft.public.windowsupdate is a better newsgroup for
Windows Update questions.

Error 80072EE2 is

ERROR_INTERNET_TIMEOUT
The request has timed out.

some tips you can try here:

You receive an "Error 0x80072EE2" or "Error 0x80072EFD" error message
when you try to use Windows Update
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;836941

If you have Norton Internet Security or something similar installed
(e.g. some 3rd party firewall as mentioned in the article above),
you might need to reconfigure or disable it.

Here is more about this issue:
http://groups.google.com/groups?threadm=OP#[email protected]

and
http://groups.google.com/[email protected]

Some error 0x80072EE2 trouble sooting tips here as well:

http://www.updatexp.com/0x80072ee2.html

Also, you could have a MTU size issue on a router or similar, see the
quotes from a couple of recent post below:

From: chestersdad <[email protected]>
Subject: RE: Sorry - I meant error 0x80072EE2
Date: Sun, 12 Sep 2004 07:17:05 -0700
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsupdate

<quote>
I tried everything and couldn't get the update to work. I then
changed the MTU on my wireless router from 1500 to 1400 and it
worked fine.
</quote>

From: Bryan Carter <Bryan (e-mail address removed)>
Subject: Finally fixed 80072EE2 error on 2 machines.
Date: Sun, 12 Sep 2004 21:47:09 -0700
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsupdate

<quote>
After going through all of the pain of trying ALL of the suggestions from the
knowledgebase article, and everywhere else, I have finally been able to fix
the Windows Updates problems I was having, along with a related issue of not
being able to get to my hotmail account.

This all happened about the time that MS made the shift a few weeks ago.

I ALWAYS got the 80072EE2 error when attempting to connect to Windows
Update. The two machines that I was having problems with were brand new
installs of XP Pro. No service packs, or hot fixes, and no firewall or
spyware detection, and no proxy. This was "plain vanilla" install.

It seems like a lot of these problems are caused by firewalls etc, and the
knowledgebase article that MS ALWAYS refers you to follows that plan of
attack. However, that plan ran out quickly since the machine is a brand new
install.

Okay, what fixed it for me was to look at my Cisco 837 router that is hooked
to my DSL connection. On the dialer interface, I adjusted the default MTU of
1500 to 1492 as per some Cisco documentation I was reading. As soon as I made
the change, BANG, it worked. It hasn't failed again since and I have now
updated to SP2 without issue.

Microsoft, PLEASE add this to your document so that others don't have to
spend as much time as I did finding the answer.

I do not no how to make these adjustments on routers other than the Cisco,
so I am probably not much help beyond letting you know that it is something
you should look at. Your ISP may be able to help and would be a better
resource I'm sure.

</quote>

You might need to set the MTU size to 1452 instead of 1492.