Windows Update Breaks Windows?

Ross M. Greenberg

I just picked up a new HP machine from BJ's -- dyal Athlon64's, 2 gb mem,
200 gb HC @ 7200rpm, 19" flat panel display, Windows XP media edition with
SP2. Works like a champ. $800!!

Windows Update tries to install 49 updates. When I let it, I no longer have
Internet access -- not even a ping works.

Any other reports of this?

Ross

Malke

Ross said:
I just picked up a new HP machine from BJ's -- dyal Athlon64's, 2 gb mem,
200 gb HC @ 7200rpm, 19" flat panel display, Windows XP media edition with
SP2. Works like a champ. $800!!

Windows Update tries to install 49 updates. When I let it, I no longer
have Internet access -- not even a ping works.

You probably didn't use Customize but just installed the Updates with the
Express option. There was probably a network adapter driver update in there
and it is always a Bad Idea to use drivers from Windows Update. Roll back
the driver for your network adapter or reinstall it from the HP driver
restore (there should be an entry in your Start Menu).

How to Roll Back a Device Driver - http://tinyurl.com/86yb6

Malke

Ross M. Greenberg

Is there some app that wiuld help automate determing which of the 49 updates
contains the problem? Optimally, I'd need to apply a single update, then
see if I can ping or bring up, say, microsoft.com in IE. When it fails, I
done found the troublemaker......

Malke

Ross said:
Is there some app that wiuld help automate determing which of the 49
updates
contains the problem? Optimally, I'd need to apply a single update, then
see if I can ping or bring up, say, microsoft.com in IE. When it fails, I
done found the troublemaker......

You can look in System Restore. Start>Programs>Accessories>System
Tools>System Restore. "Restore my computer to an earlier time".

You will see the dates with restore points in bold on the calendar.
Highlight the date and on the right you'll see what updates were applied.
Or just simply take a shortcut and 1) roll back the network adapter driver;
2) and if that doesn't work, reinstall from HP's driver restore.

Why mess around with a long, involved troubleshooting? Just fix the NIC
drivers.

Malke

Ross M. Greenberg

So, you're auggesting install the whole 49, then simply rollback the NIC
driver. directly from HP if need be? Of course getting to HP is gonna be
ptoblamatic! Since only a sungle level of rollback is allowed, that's why
I was looking at the one-atta-time approach.

I tend to wear belts *and* suspendors.....

Malke

Ross said:
So, you're auggesting install the whole 49, then simply rollback the
NIC driver. directly from HP if need be? Of course getting to HP is
gonna be
ptoblamatic! Since only a sungle level of rollback is allowed,
that's why I was looking at the one-atta-time approach.

No, that isn't what I said. You said that you had installed 49 updates
and then lost Internet connectivity. I said that there was a
possibility that you had mistakenly installed an update for your NIC
driver. Naturally, I can't be sure of this since I can't see your
computer but it is a common enough occurrence.

I said - try reinstalling or rolling back your NIC drivers. I didn't say
anything about the other updates. Leave them alone.

Malke

Ross M. Greenberg

Sorry: I misunderstood!

In order for me to get online I had to restore and *not* run those updates.
Alas *none* of those 49 upfates I can get from custom Windows Update are
labeled "NICish" at all. How can I make a backup set of the NIC drivers,
then run all 49 updates, then restore just the NIC drivers?

Ross

Malke

Ross said:
Sorry: I misunderstood!

In order for me to get online I had to restore and *not* run those
updates. Alas *none* of those 49 upfates I can get from custom Windows
Update are
labeled "NICish" at all. How can I make a backup set of the NIC
drivers, then run all 49 updates, then restore just the NIC drivers?

Get drivers from:

1. The device mftr.'s website; OR
2. The motherboard mftr.'s website if hardware is onboard; OR
3. The OEM's website for your specific machine if you have an OEM
computer (HP, Dell, Sony, etc.).

Read the installation instructions on the website where you get the
drivers.

To find out what hardware is in your computer:

1. Read any documentation you got when you bought the computer.
2. If the computer is OEM, go to the OEM's website for your specific
model machine and look at the specs (you'll be there to get the drivers
anyway)
3. Download, install and run a free system inventory program like Belarc
Advisor. The older Aida32 is good for this, too.

http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html - Belarc Advisor
http://www.aumha.org/free.htm - Aida32 (hosted on Jim Eshelman's site)

After you have the NIC drivers in hand, use the Custom update install
and only install one update at a time, testing after each install. You
should also only install security updates. Of course, I don't know
which update has caused you difficulty but apparently one of them has
since the issue goes away when you start over. There is always the
possibility that my guess about the NIC drivers isn't correct. Perhaps
one of the other updates caused a conflict with some security software
you are running. Since I can't see your computer, there is no way for
me to know.

You might want to have a knowledgeable friend or professional take a
look if you are unsure about what you are installing and/or about which
update is causing the problem. You can also do some searching via
Google Groups in the Windows Update newsgroup to see if others have
experienced similar problems and what their solutions were.

microsoft.public.windowsupdate

Malke

Rock

Sorry: I misunderstood!

In order for me to get online I had to restore and *not* run those
updates. Alas *none* of those 49 upfates I can get from custom Windows
Update are labeled "NICish" at all. How can I make a backup set of the
NIC drivers, then run all 49 updates, then restore just the NIC drivers?

It's simple. If the NIC came with the computer from HP go to their website
and download the drivers. If it's a retail NIC you installed yourself go to
the device manufacturer's web site for the drivers.

Ross M. Greenberg

I went to hp.com, downloaded and installed a single NIC update. Then I did
a custom Windows Update. Everything was now upto date!

Mysterious are theways of Windows, Osione

Rock

I went to hp.com, downloaded and installed a single NIC update. Then I did
a custom Windows Update. Everything was now upto date!

Mysterious are theways of Windows, Osione

"Rock" wrote

Great, glad it's resolved for you. It's not mysterious. You should never
get driver updates from the windows update site. You should monitor any
updates that it wants to install and only choose those that _you_ want.

Ross M. Greenberg

Great, glad it's resolved for you. It's not mysterious. You should never
get driver updates from the windows update site. You should monitor any
updates that it wants to install and only choose those that _you_ want.

One learns........

Ross M. Greenberg

Mysteriouser and Mysteriouser.

I determined that IE, after a reboot works like a champ. Run OE and IE needs
the "www." on a site, Exit OE and you get a DNS/server until a reboot.

Huh?

Ross M. Greenberg

DNS/Server *error*

Ross M. Greenberg said:
Mysteriouser and Mysteriouser.

I determined that IE, after a reboot works like a champ. Run OE and IE
needs the "www." on a site, Exit OE and you get a DNS/server until a
reboot.

Huh?

Ross M. Greenberg

Problem Solved!!

Believe it or not, my problem was entirely in SP2 and firewall issue. By
disabling the SP2 firewall and enabling the Norton firewall and permitting
Internet Explorer as an exception with a "permit all." I no longer
experience these problems. Microsoft MSDN technical support said that they
could not offer any assistance with the "for Windows XP Media Edition" since
this was sold to OEMs and Microsoft must no longer responsible.

After an hour on the phone with HP my problem was resolved. I don't know
whether to be thankful to HP or to curse out Microsoft MSDN tech support.

Regardless, everything is working, and I'm a happy puppy!

Ross.

"Ross M. Greenberg" <green