Windows unstable/crashes but very few clues to go on

Dave Neve

Hello

I've Windows XP which has become unstable.

I've tried many things to find out why (inlcuding loooking for spyware and
trojans of course) but with no success.

The only clues I have is that 'active desktop' suddenly got activated after
being turned off for about 5 years and kept reactivating itself.

I finally managed to find two files that it wanted to incorporate in the
office desktop (they didn't actually show up on the desk and I couldn't see
them in the temp files where they were supposed to be)

They are now out of the register but the system still hangs inspite of being
boosted with a second memory stick

When I open a couple of windows or do sth quite minor like send emails or
use two Word documents, the mouse (wireless) becomes sluggish and sometimes
the system freezes.

If it doesn't crash and 'recovers' , I immediately go to the process window
but nothing unusual is running and the processor is more or less idle.

It's sluggish as I am typing this email.

Please can anyone help

Pegasus \(MVP\)

Dave Neve said:
[...]

Use msconfig.exe to disable each and every startup task, except
your virus scanner, then try again.

If the problem persists, physically disconnect the machine from
the Internet, then disable every startup task and also every
non-Microsoft service. Does this resolve the problem?

Thee Chicago Wolf

[...]

I would say try using process Explorer and see if anything specific is
consuming your CPU. You may also want to look in your event viewer
for clues or yellow / red flags. Of course, you could always try
installing Service Pack 3 when it become available later today.

- Thee Chicago Wolf

pcbutts1 [MS MVP]

I have been seeing more and more of this type of issue over the past few
days, I believe it may be malware related, some new variant. Go to my
website download and run Remove-it, What's Live RN and Explorer shell fix
tool. Email me a copy of the log file created by What's live RN.
http://pcbutts1.com/downloads/tools/tools.htm

Dave Neve

Thanks everyone

There are some 'heavy'suggestions here that will take me time to do

I will have to wait for the holidays cos as far as work is concerned , a
lame XP is better than a dead XP for me

I was actually hoping to limp along until the summer holidays but I'm not
sure that I can make it.

Regards

Dave Neve

Dave Neve

Hi

I visited the PC Butts site yesterday

I didn't see any pornographic material but I did download two freewares and
miracle, my computer has become stable again

I also emailed PC Butts using "reply to sender" and got two very quick
replies that helped me greatly.

Dave Neve