\windows\system32\config\system.... missing or corrupt

Reaction score
Hello,

I have a HP dv4000 series laptop running Windows XP Professional. Last night I put my laptop in standby mode and went to bed. This morning I wake up to a blank screen. I rebooted the computer and got the following message:

Windows XP could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM

It prompted me to restart and run recovery console form the XP cd. Which I did. I attempted to run chkdsk but I got he following message:

"AUTOCHK.EXE could not be located in either the startup directory or the CDROM drive. Type the full path (including drive letter) for the location of AUTOCHK.EXE"

when i put something in there (anything) it says that it cannit be found.
confused.gif

I googled this error and went to this Microsoft page: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307545

I tried the md tno prompt.... nothing.... it said "The path or file specified is not valid." Basiclaly any command I try to do I get this message.

What's wrong?? I can't do ANYTHING!!
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif
As much as I didn't want to.. I even tried deleting the partition and it wouldn't let me. HEEEELP!!!

by the way, I'm on my work-issued laptop if you're wondeirng how i'm accessing the net.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Ask a Question