\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM access denied

josemc

When I get to the recovery console and I try doing the 1st step from
the Microsoft article (http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=307545 )
which is typing ms tmp and hitting enter it gives me access denied. In
the instructions it mentions that the recovery console will ask for the
administrative password, but it never asks me for that. Please help

Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

Hello Jose,
If you are not be prompted to enter the administrator credentials when you
boot into Recovery Console, it cannot locate an installed operating system.
There is corruption in drive that is causing the OS to not appear.
In that case you are limited to accessing the root directory while in
Recovery Console.
You may want to try running chkdsk to see if there is any disk corruption.
Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

<From: (e-mail address removed)
<Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general