Windows System Error: Spyware Detected

In the past few days, I keep getting this pop-up that says, "Windows System Error: Spyware has been detected on your Computer." Then it says "click ok" to download this spyware remover program. Only, you have to pay for it. I know this is a bogus pop up, and adaware and spybot can't fix this. I tried looking for wierd programs and deleting them, but it won't work. Please help.

Doug Kanter

1) Doesn't your browser have popup control?

2) Regardless of what you *think* Spybot and AdAware can't fix, do you still
run them regularly?

Scared_of_Spyware said:
In the past few days, I keep getting this pop-up that says, "Windows
System Error: Spyware has been detected on your Computer." Then it says
"click ok" to download this spyware remover program. Only, you have to pay
for it. I know this is a bogus pop up, and adaware and spybot can't fix
this. I tried looking for wierd programs and deleting them, but it won't
work. Please help.

I do run them regularly. I scan with my virus protector, along with the two programs you mentioned. I then scanned with my firewall, and found cookies. The pop-up looks an official microsoft xp pop-up. It looks like the ones that say "fatal error."

I'm in my firewall, but I don't see anything about messenger service. I have zone alarm.

just stop messenger service within services, this will eliminate all popups and messenger service is not need for the average home/work user.

\: cHaSeR /

Doug Kanter

Does your browser have pop-up controls? Which browser do you use?

Scared_of_Spyware said:
I do run them regularly. I scan with my virus protector, along with the
two programs you mentioned. I then scanned with my firewall, and found
cookies. The pop-up looks an official microsoft xp pop-up. It looks like
the ones that say "fatal error."

Tom Pepper Willett

You don't turn off messenger service in Zone Alarm. You turn it off in
Windows XP Services.
message | I'm in my firewall, but I don't see anything about messenger service. I
have zone alarm.

| "Phil" wrote:
|
| > If they say Messenger Service in the title bar then turn on your
firewall to
| > stop them. Otherwise:
| > You've got spyware, adware, a trojan, a search engine hijacker, or a
home
| > page hijacker.
| >
| > Run these tools weekly
| > Spybot -- http://www.safer-networking.org/
| > Ad-aware -- http://www.lavasoftusa.com/
| >
| > CWShredder: http://209.133.47.200/~merijn/files/CWShredder.exe
| > HiJackThis - http://mjc1.com/mirror/hjt/
| >
| > Scared_of_Spyware wrote:
| > > In the past few days, I keep getting this pop-up that says, "Windows
| > > System Error: Spyware has been detected on your Computer." Then it
| > > says "click ok" to download this spyware remover program. Only, you
| > > have to pay for it. I know this is a bogus pop up, and adaware and
| > > spybot can't fix this. I tried looking for wierd programs and
| > > deleting them, but it won't work. Please help.

Wesley Vogel

Double click the Zone Alarm icon down by the clock |
Up in the right hand corner of the window that pops up |
Does it show: All Systems Active???

Phil

There won't be anything in ZA about messenger service. I meant if the
pop-ups have messenger service in the title bar, then make sure you have a
firewall running and working blocking the netbios ports. If they don't say
messenger service then it spyware/adware.

where would i find the netbio ports?

Phil said:
There won't be anything in ZA about messenger service. I meant if the
pop-ups have messenger service in the title bar, then make sure you have a
firewall running and working blocking the netbios ports. If they don't say
messenger service then it spyware/adware.

where is the netbio port section?

Phil said:
There won't be anything in ZA about messenger service. I meant if the
pop-ups have messenger service in the title bar, then make sure you have a
firewall running and working blocking the netbios ports. If they don't say
messenger service then it spyware/adware.

After the scan of my ports, it said that port 113 was "closed." I read it, and it's just a identity port. Everything was stealth. I tried changing it to stealth, but I couldn't find it in my fireweall.

Bruce Chambers

Greetings --

It's a scam, plain and simple. It's from a very unscrupulous
"business." They're trying to sell you patches that Microsoft
provides free-of-charge, and using a very intrusive means of
advertising. It's also demonstrating that your PC is very unsecure.

This type of spam has become quite common over the past year or
so, and unintentionally serves as a valid security "alert." It
demonstrates that you haven't been taking sufficient precautions while
connected to the Internet. Your data probably hasn't been compromised
by these specific advertisements, but if you're open to this exploit,
you most definitely open to other threats, such as the Blaster,
Welchia, and Sasser Worms that still haunt the Internet. Install and
use a decent, properly configured firewall. (Merely disabling the
messenger service, as some people recommend, only hides the symptom,
and does little or nothing to truly secure your machine.) And
ignoring or just "putting up with" the security gap represented by
these messages is particularly foolish.

Messenger Service of Windows
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;en-us;168893

Messenger Service Window That Contains an Internet Advertisement
Appears
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=330904

Blocking Ads, Parasites, and Hijackers with a Hosts File
http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm

Whichever firewall you decide upon, be sure to ensure UDP ports 135,
137, and 138 and TCP ports 135, 139, and 445 are _all_ blocked. You
may also disable Inbound NetBIOS (NetBIOS over TCP/IP). You'll have
to follow the instructions from firewall's manufacturer for the
specific steps.

You can test your firewall at:

Symantec Security Check
http://security.symantec.com/ssc/vr_main.asp?langid=ie&venid=sym&plfid=23&pkj=GPVHGBYNCJEIMXQKCDT

Security Scan - Sygate Online Services
http://www.sygatetech.com/

Oh, and be especially wary of people who advise you to do nothing
more than disable the messenger service. Disabling the messenger
service, by itself, is a "head in the sand" approach to computer
security. The real problem is _not_ the messenger service pop-ups;
they're actually providing a useful, if annoying, service by acting as
a security alert. The true problem is the unsecured computer, and
you've been advised to merely turn off the warnings. How is this
helpful?

To deal with pop-ups caused by any sort of "adware" and/or
"spyware,"such as Gator, Comet Cursors, Xupiter, Bonzai Buddy, or
KaZaA, and their remnants, that you've deliberately (but without
understanding the consequences) installed, two products that are
quite effective (at finding and removing this type of scumware) are
Ad-Aware from www.lavasoft.de and SpyBot Search & Destroy from
www.safer-networking.org/. Both have free versions. It's even
possible to use SpyBot Search & Destroy to "immunize" your system
against most future intrusions. I use both and generally perform
manual scans every week or so to clean out cookies, etc.

Bruce Chambers
--
Help us help you:

having both at once. - RAH

"Scared_of_Spyware" <[email protected]>
wrote in message
In the past few days, I keep getting this pop-up that says, "Windows
System Error: Spyware has been detected on your Computer." Then it
says "click ok" to download this spyware remover program. Only, you
have to pay for it. I know this is a bogus pop up, and adaware and
spybot can't fix this. I tried looking for wierd programs and
deleting them, but it won't work. Please help.

Bruce Chambers

Greetings --

I realize that you're trying to help, and that such an intent is
commendable, but please don't post potentially harmful advice.

Disabling the messenger service, Shoot the Messenger does, is a
"head in the sand" approach to computer security that leaves the PC
vulnerable to threats such as the W32.Blaster.Worm and the
W32.Sasser.Worm.

The real problem is _not_ the messenger service pop-ups; they're
actually providing a useful service by acting as a security alert. The
true problem is the unsecured computer, and your only advice,
however well-intended, was to turn off the warnings. How is this
helpful?

Equivalent Scenario: You over-exert your shoulder at work or
play, causing bursitis. After weeks of annoying and sometimes
excruciating pain whenever you try to reach over your head, you go to
a doctor and say, while demonstrating the motion, "Doc, it hurts when
I do this." The doctor, being as helpful as you are, replies, "Well,
don't do that."

An absolutely essential step towards securing the PC, short of
disconnecting it from the Internet, is to install and *properly*
configure a firewall; just installing one and letting it's default
settings handle things is not always sufficient.

Bruce Chambers
--
Help us help you:

having both at once. - RAH

: cHaSeR / said:
just stop messenger service within services, this will eliminate all
popups and messenger service is not need for the average home/work
user.
\: cHaSeR /
with the two programs you mentioned. I then scanned with my firewall,
and found cookies. The pop-up looks an official microsoft xp pop-up.
It looks like the ones that say "fatal error."

Wow, thanks Mr. Chambers. This fixed the problem. I am still going to scan with antivirus, adaware and spybot on a weekly basis. Thanks again!