I'm currently running Vista Ultimate 32bit. The other day my Windows Sidebar
disappeared. I try to start it and I dont even see the process even popup in
task manager.
I did some searching around on the net and found very little suff. A few
things said to try re-registering a few dlls. A couple sites said to try
reinstalling Java. After I saw that I went into Programs and Features and
noticed I had Java SE5 and SE6 installed. Then I remembered the other day
when I was installing something it installed Java SE5 too and right around
then is when Windows Sidebar stopped working.
Registering the DLLs again and removing JavaSE5 and reinstalling 6 didnt
help.
Anyone have any idea how to reinstall/repair my Windows Sidebar ??

A

Alan Hinden

I'm in the same boat. It happened after uninstalling the Peachtree 2008 Trial & associated Pervasive database engine & utility.

Any new ideas on this?

Thanks,
Alan
(e-mail address removed)

EggHeadCafe.com - .NET Developer Portal of Choice
http://www.eggheadcafe.com

M

Matthew Oldford

I am running Windows Vista Premium on a compaq laptop, and somewhere along the way my sidebar disappeared. after trying to remedy the problem I found the .exe file, and shortcut to starting the program, but trying to run the program does nothing. It just doesn't run, no errors, no pop-ups with any reason, just nothing. I can click the box to start with windows on and off, and try it both ways, and still nothing. the post that brought me here has been the information most relevant to my problem, so I figured I need to post also. PLEASE HELP! I liked my sidebar, and Microsoft suppo rt is really to expensive for a punk like me. Maybe we can get this solved together. Has anyone tried replacing the exe, or all the files in the folder with files from someone elses pc. I'm no tech guru, but I'm willing to try some things.

EggHeadCafe - .NET Developer Portal of Choice

T

teyebeareeus

are you sure its not running in the background?
when you start the taskmanager do you see it listed in the processes?

press ctrl+shift+esc

M

Matthew Oldford

I just got my sidebar back. I reinstalled autocad 2002, and my sidebar came back. I'm guessing that I had a missing .dll or a corupt .dll that autocad, and the vista sidebar share. This is yet another case of a program installation, or uninstallation creating problems. I have been dealing with issues similar to this for about ten years now. As a computer user I have figured out that I need to be carefull, and backup before I install, and uninstall software. I would love to be able to see the date, and time of all of my software installs, and uninstalls at a glance. I found some fixes for similar sidebar dissapearances on this site somewhere. Two if I remember correctly. Sorry I don't have a link. Thankyou very much for all of the help. PEACE!

EggHeadCafe - .NET Developer Portal of Choice

Ask a Question