Windows XP Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 1 Admin Tools

Reaction score
Trying to install admin tools. Protected files error. Please help.

Event Log Entry:

Product: Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 1 Administration Tools Pack -- Error 1933. The Windows Installer service cannot update one or more protected Windows files. SFP Error: 1223. List of protected files:\r\nc:\winnt\system32\winsevnt.dll

c:\winnt\system32\dhcpsnap.dll

c:\winnt\system32\dnsmgr.dll

c:\winnt\system32\rsadmin.dll

c:\winnt\system32\rscommon.dll

c:\winnt\system32\rsconn.dll

c:\winnt\system32\rsengps.dll

c:\winnt\system32\rsjob.dll

c:\winnt\system32\rsservps.dll

c:\winnt\system32\rsshell.dll

c:\winnt\system32\rssubps.dll

c:\winnt\system32\winssnap.dll

Thank you,

Rob

Reaction score
Yeah it definately looks as though it's Windows 2000 he's trying to install the Admin Tools Pack onto, and just as a fact, it WONT install on Windows 2000.

It's only supported for Windows Server 2003 itself, and Windows XP.

Rgds

Reaction score
I wouldn't know why you want to install it on W2K3 Server though, as once you install the applications, they automatically appear in Administrative Tools anyway, the Admin Pack is normally used to Remotely Administer servers rather than logging into them directly.

Reaction score
Yes, I agree basic admin tools are installed with the O/S.
However, when you install the admin tools pak you have more tools like AD.
Does anyone know why I'm getting these file protection errors? O/S is windows 2003. Error is posted above in first thread.

Thanks, Rob

Reaction score
You will have the AD tools once you run dcpromo on the server itself, no need to install the Admin Pack at all...

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
knaakr said:
Yes, I agree basic admin tools are installed with the O/S.
However, when you install the admin tools pak you have more tools like AD.
Does anyone know why I'm getting these file protection errors? O/S is windows 2003. Error is posted above in first thread.

Thanks, Rob
Error 1933 ... this is because whatever you are trying to install is tryin to over-write a protected Windows file. Windows don't like that. ;)

That usually happens on an OEM version of Windows.

Error: 1223 ... well, do as I did, ask MS

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=299606

Reaction score
Basically what he's doing is installing Admin Pack because he can't see the options in Administrative Tools, they are not there because you haven't installed the specified Services, they will only appear once you install them.

So if you can't see anything to do with AD in Administrative Tools, then run DCPROMO and follow it through, then reboot, and hey presto, it'll appear inside Administrative Tools.

There is no need to go and download the Remote Admin Pack Tools.

Reaction score
steady eddy,

is this server is a production environment? if it is don't go promoting it to a DC.

It looks to me as if you've upgraded the server from W2K, this is mistake number one! i have had similar problems with admin tools, either have a look on technet or rebuild it.

Ask a Question