windows messenger+messenger service+windows update

G

Hi i have a suggestion and questions for and about windows xp service pack

I was just wondering if the "MESSENGER" service is going to be disabled in SP2 because of the MESSENGER SERVICE pop ups

Also in SP2 can you make Windows Messenger obey the user when you TICK the check box to STOP it Loading and automatically signing in on startup because right now it doesn't do what it's meant to do

And also in SP2 could a larger Visual notification(maybe a pop up box) be given to the USER after downloading a Windows Update file telling the user to install the update, cuz right now if u set it to "Notify me before downloading any updates and notify me again before installing them on my computer" you have to right click on the Windows update icon and click install and some people don't realise that they have to install the update cuz they think it's already installed

So would you be able to pass these suggestions onto the ppl who are making SP2 please

THANKS

T

Tim

Hi i have a suggestion and questions for and about windows xp service pack 2
I was just wondering if the "MESSENGER" service is going to be disabled in SP2 because of the
MESSENGER SERVICE pop ups.

No. Fact of the matter is, the "MESSENGER Service" is widely used in corporate networks, not just
the internet. That reason alone, it's not going to be touched. But, if you just go to your
services, you yourself can disable the service on your PC. But I highly doubt it will ever be
disabled by default.
Also in SP2 can you make Windows Messenger obey the user when you TICK the check box to STOP it
Loading and automatically signing in on startup because right now it doesn't do what it's meant to
do.

If you're running Windows XP Pro, you can click on start, select run, and type in GPEDIT.MSC and
create a policy to disable Windows Messenger from automatically starting. If you are running the
Home edition, there are a couple of registry items you can create to disable it as well. Do a google
search on it...

And also in SP2 could a larger Visual notification(maybe a pop up box) be given to the USER after
downloading a Windows Update file telling the user to install the update, cuz right now if u set it
to "Notify me before downloading any updates and notify me again before installing them on my
computer" you have to right click on the Windows update icon and click install and some people don't
realise that they have to install the update cuz they think it's already installed.

Why not setup the automatic downloads to download the updates and proceed to install them at a
specified time?? In your System control panel, on the Automatic Updates tab, it does give you this
option.

G

ok sum ppl might not want to install the updates straight away.

and will enabling the ICF stop the Messenger service pop ups????

T

Tim

ok sum ppl might not want to install the updates straight away.

Then I recommend training people to know what certain icons mean and what certain messages mean. If
I recall correctly, the baloon tooltip that pops up to notify you updates are available pops up
several times and continues to do so until they are installed... surely someone would eventually
notice it.

and will enabling the ICF stop the Messenger service pop ups????

Yes, installing most any kind of firewall or even by enabling XP's built in ICF will prevent
Messenger Service popups from appearing on your system.

Ask a Question